Author Topic: Help with deciphering a marriage certificate  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help with deciphering a marriage certificate
« on: Saturday 12 January 19 07:18 GMT (UK) »
I purchased a marriage certificate for my great great great grandparents from 1865, hoping I could take my family tree back further, but unfortunately I am really struggling with the record.

I will put down what I can deciper working across in columns
Record 177
Date: August 31st 1865, Belfast
Name & Surname of Parties:
John ?? Reynolds (though his middle name is shown more clearly as Fisher further on
Margaret Hanoria Quill
Condition of Parties: Bachelor and Spinster, neither with previous children
Birthplace: Ohio United States & Portland Victoria
Rank or Profession: ?? I cannot read either parties profession
Residence: ?? I cannot read John's residence, Margaret's is Orford
Parents: ?? I cannot read either of his parents names (only his father's surname, which is Reynolds)
         ?? I believe her father's says John Quill and her mother's name says Johanna (?) ?? surname is illegible to me
Occupation: ?? It looks perhaps as though both sets of fathers occupation is listed as Farmer (?) but I can't be sure

In the lower part of the document, almost the only things I can make out is that the word Catholic is there and his name looked to be John FISHER Reynolds in this part.
Also one of the witnesses appear to be a William Quill and a Mary ??

Any help in deciphering this document is really appreciated, particularly the parents names because I am quite stuck in going back any further from here with my tree in this line.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering a marriage certificate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 19 07:36 GMT (UK) »
her occupation: farmers daughter
his occupation looks like hunter?
Current residence
His XXXXX Western Districts
hers Orford
His father   either Samuel or Lemuel Reynolds occup farmer
His mother  XXXX Fisher or Fisbier
her father John Quill occup farmer
her Mother Johanna Lenihan

According to the rites of the Catholic Church

His name shown John Fisher Reynolds (signed)

Her name Margaret Hanoria Quill ( her mark) - you can see a wee X there
Witnesses
William Quill
Mary Mallory/Mallery or Slattery or Holley ( her mark)
Her mark indicates that she could not write and so the priest would have indicated  for her to make a X which he then notated as her or his mark 

Still working on usual residence for him and her mother's first name

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:02 GMT (UK) »
I see:

Samuel Reynolds and Emeline Fisher.

John Quill and Johanna Lenchan.

I agree, a hunter and a farmer’s daughter.

Address: Dunmore, Western District.

Yes, the fathers are farmers.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:07 GMT (UK) »
I cannot express how grateful that I am for what you have been able to do decipher
Using that information i have been able to find some information I am fairly quietly confident on.
I believe her name is Emiline Fisher. There are records I need to somehow work through to determine if she is actually Mary Emiline Fisher or Emiline Fisher, but I am fairly sure that it says Emiline on that record. In Either case his first name is Lemuel

There is no way in the world I could have found this info if not for your great work in helping decipher this, you are awesome!!

Thanks
Matt

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:11 GMT (UK) »
I had thought  the residence xxxx Western Districts is in Upper Canada and part of the Province of Quebec.  Orford is in Kent Co Quebec Upper Canada and also in several locations in England 

Edited Dunmore Western Districts has been added....there is a Dunmore in Co Galway which is on western side of Ireland and there is also a Dunmore in US State of Pennsylvania.  I don't think an irish person would call the location in Co Galway the Western Districts. 

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:11 GMT (UK) »
I see:

Samuel Reynolds and Emeline Fisher.

John Quill and Johanna Lenchan.

I agree, a hunter and a farmer’s daughter.

Address: Dunmore, Western District.

Yes, the fathers are farmers.

Jamjar

Also thank you very much
Dunmore was a homestead/station in the Western Districts, so I am quite sure that you are right with that !!

Your help (both of you has saved me literally hours at trying to guess at names that I still would never have been able to get) thank you again

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:14 GMT (UK) »
I think the residence Western Districts is in Upper Canada and part of the Province of Quebec.  Orford is in Kent Co Quebec Upper Canada and also in several locations in England

It is in Victoria Australia. Orford is a small town around which most of father's heritage come from over the last 150-200 years. Dunmore was a station/homestead around 12 kms /7.5 miles away.

Thank you again so much

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:26 GMT (UK) »
I think the residence Western Districts is in Upper Canada and part of the Province of Quebec.  Orford is in Kent Co Quebec Upper Canada and also in several locations in England

It is in Victoria Australia. Orford is a small town around which most of father's heritage come from over the last 150-200 years. Dunmore was a station/homestead around 12 kms /7.5 miles away.

Thank you again so much

Well I had looked at Australia but as no mention of this possibility I went no further....have been to Orford in Tasmania so wondered why it sounded Southern hemisphere ...wrong one but right country!  And in those days a big station like Dunmore would have had a hunter/s, probably may still?

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:37 GMT (UK) »
They named a child Emeline:

8849 1914 REYNOLDS Emeline Jane parent’s Reynolds Jno and Marg (Quill) Place of death Carlton, aged 43

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams