Author Topic: Help with deciphering a marriage certificate  (Read 3653 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering a marriage certificate
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 13 January 19 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Dont go rushing buying certificates just yet. 

You have posted baptisms which have been transcribed to the Victorian Registry.  Civil reg commenced Jul 1853 and churches were required by legislation to forward parish registers of copies thereof, to the Registry in Melbourne.  Many didn't comply.

Death certs are so often full of inaccurate information.

Appreciate that death certs are only as good as the inormant but nevertheless they can often provide an apx date of arrival and from there narrow down the years to search immigration records. 

Thanks for the advice that the births of 1847 are transcribed as that will explain the 'Letrahan'.

I had thought that if the records for Margaret are transcribed then an inexperienced transcriber may read/see Margt (t in superscript and shortened) as Mary. Also accents may confuse a Maggie & a Mary.  Also  the Saints name taken on first communion. She may have been Margaret Hanoria Mary or Mary Margaret Hanoria. The marriage certificate has Margaret but she has not signed but put her mark but if that had been incorrect William Quill (her brother? one of the witnesses)  or her new husband could have corrected it.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 13 January 19 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Death
QUILL Johanna
Father Thomas LENANHAN  Mother Ellen HANIGAN
At Macarthur  77 years 1896 Reg#6599

They are not births but baptisms transcribed from the parish registers, and I would guess many years later, from microfiche of the registers.
I have a resource of Victoria's Early Church records from VIC BDM but sadly it will no longer open.

Let's not get hung up on the spelling of a surname. 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 13 January 19 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks....a trap for young players would be to search and not find a name transcribed as Letrahan. it is just so 'out of the way' compared with the other closer versions of lenihan, lenahan, lenanhan etc etc and even the Sinnahan (which has mistaken an L for an S.)

Just putting some thing into the pot and that is a marriage at South Parish Cork & Ross (St Finbarrs)  Co Cork between a John Quilati and a Johanna Linehan on 9/10/1841.
search on this site
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

The witnesses were a Patrick Curtin and a Johana Sweney.  Sometimes to push back in the research witnesses beome important as
a) they may have emigrated and be known as family friends but later generations don't understand why
b) often are members of the family. 

You can look at the original on the site. If this is the Quill family, as it may have become, it explains that there could well have been some children born between 1841 and 1847 that may have needed baptising (in the eyes of the priest) once they had arrived in Australia. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 13 January 19 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Another pot throwing record! original on the site https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

baptism of Johanna Linehanon 11/8/1840
Name   JOANNA LINEHAN
Date of Birth   N/R N/R N/R
Address   N/R
Father   WILLIAM LINEHAN
Mother   ELLEN SULLIVAN
Further details in the record
Sponsor 1   JERRY CALLAGHAN
Sponsor 2   ELLEN TOBIN
Recorded Parochial Area   SOUTH PARISH, CORK (ST. FINBAR'S, CHRIST CHURCH, ST. NICHOLAS, ST. JOHN OF JERUSALEM)

St Finbarrs was the marriage Church for John Quilati and Johanna Linehan. 

Very far stretch though, as we have been advised that Johanna's parents were Thomas Lenahan and Ellen Hanigan (I wonder where these names came from? )

NB may have come from Margaret Quill Reynolds' death certifctae and therefore only as good as the informant.  Other than buying a copy of the certificate is there a way of finding out the informant?

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 13 January 19 10:15 GMT (UK) »
With the certificates, I have to hold off on any more for the next week or two as I have purchased now about 14 this week, so have to wait until I am paid or else I would be buying them all now :)

It will take me a good few days to digest all of this info.

Reynolds
I have spent the last few hours reading through and researching John Reynolds and particularly is great grandfather.  Quite an amazing discovery to find out that they own a lot of the land that was the site of the Battle of Antietam in the civil war (both Roulette's Farmstead and Mumma's Farmstead were part of the original acreage owned by John Reynolds 1714-1784) and the original Springhouse and part of the main house were believed to be the homes they lived in and now both farms are part of the National Parks. That was such an amazing find!!

Quill
In regards to John William. This was picked up through "smart match" on MyHeritage and I am starting to think this is causing me to look in the wrong direction. Looking up just John Quill
There is this record in deaths.

1892,10835,M,Quill,John,John(father),Norah Ryan(mother),Macarthur,72,

Which would be the right area (Macarthur) The right timeframe (b ~1820). I am tending to believe this is the John "William" Quill that I am looking for.

Letrahan
Johanna's death certificate has her parents as
1896,06599,,Quill,Johanna,Thomas Lenanhan (father),Ellen Hanigan (mother),Macarthur,77,

Sorry I have not addressed all the questions as I have to much reading material to work through with all the amazing links and everything you have provided. Like everyone I am sure who embarks on this  journey I just wish I started earlier.

As I work my way through the links etc I will come back with any more questions I have. Honestly this is the best site I have ever seen on the internet! Thank you both so very much again

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 13 January 19 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Also thanks so much for the Probate link. (I noticed going back through the thread you have both linked it), it is a great resource and proves without any doubt at all that the John Quill who passed in 1892, Macarthur is indeed the same John Quill who was married to Johanna.

Sorry if my reply earlier covers ground you already linked, I am trying as hard as I can to work through all the information I have :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 13 January 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Matt I suggest you step back and take a deep breathe and research one family at a time.  Don't spend a fortune on certificates.  I usually wait until I am absolutely stumped for using the plastic.  Has always worked for me ;)

I would also like to gently remind you all that copying and pasting information from other websites is not permitted on rootschat.  We have been asked in the past to be transcribe it.  It isn't the information that is copyright but the format.  Also it is most unfair to those of us who spend time actually transcribing the information we post.  If I notice anyone persists I usually press the report to moderator button.  Yes I'm a grump but having been cautioned in the past I learned my lesson.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 13 January 19 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando

I can say for sure that I don't intend breaking any rules at all, but just to be sure do you mind if I ask which part I copied from the other websites?

If you mean the information that I have provided such as below?

1896,06599,,Quill,Johanna,Thomas Lenanhan (father),Ellen Hanigan (mother),Macarthur,77,

I have not taken that from any website, I have an older Victorian BMD index which I was able to find on archives.org, because I work in IT.. I loaded the files and records into a database on my home computer and I am able to make queries of that database. So that formatting is mine, not any other websites.

If it is another thing I have copies and pasted and not realised, I am genuinely sorry and if you point out where, I will stop it immediately.

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 13 January 19 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Also you are right in regards to trying to stick to one line at a time, there is so much information going around in my head that I think I will hardly sleep if I keep juggling too many at once.

And more than that, I am happy to take advice from seasoned professionals, because you all very much know what you are  doing.