Author Topic: Help with deciphering a marriage certificate  (Read 3654 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering a marriage certificate
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Presume you know how William Quill fits in and do not want any help with this? What an unusual set of locations  married in a Cathoilic Church in Belfast born Ohio US,  and Portland Victoria (Aus?) with parents in Aus? Am I reading it correctly? So did they end up back in Australia eventually?

Yes on the certificate it looks like an E to me ie  Emeline. But as she could not write she may not have been able to correct the spelling if it is shown as Emiline. 

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Siblings, all registered the same year:

1847 45844 QUILL Catharine parents QUILL John and Johanna (Letrahan)
1847 45841 QUILL John ditto died 1920
1847 45842 QUILL Mary ditto
1847 45843 QUILL William ditto died 1914

Died:

1904 1616 QUILL Denis parents QUILL John and Johanna (Lenahan), aged 40
1912 14533 QUILL David parents QUILL John and Johanna (Sinshan), aged 64
1919 13249 REYNOLDS Margt Norah parent’s Quill Jno and Johanna (Lenn) Place of death: Macarthur, aged 74
1932 8603 NOBES Catherine parent’s QUILL John and Johanna (Linehan) Place of death: BYADUK, aged 82

Can’t see Margaret

Mother’s death:

1896 6599 QUILL Johanna parents Lenanhan Thos and Ellen (Hanigan) Place of death: Macarthur, aged 77

Father:

1892 10835 QUILL Jno parents Jno and Norah (Ryan) Place of death: Macarthur, aged 72
Obit, 1st column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article225178365
His Will is on PROV: http://access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/veo-download?objectId=090fe2738030780a&format=pdf&docTitle=Image&encodingId=Revision-2-Document-1-Encoding-1-DocumentData

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:47 GMT (UK) »
This Belfast is in Victoria, Australia.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear ....I should have clarified or OP should have advised the location of the Belfast before i got to wondering how such a set of ancestors ended up in Ireland? Just about had them having arrived in Belfast ireland independently and met again walking down a Belfast street...am sure it was just as romantic in Australia!

So the William Quill was a brother of Margaret Quill Reynolds?

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:56 GMT (UK) »

Can’t see Margaret

Jamjar

Her second name was Hanoria so could be Norah? Honor?

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 January 19 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear ....I should have clarified or OP should have advised the location of the Belfast before i got to wondering how such a set of ancestors ended up in Ireland? Just about had them having arrived in Belfast ireland independently and met again walking down a Belfast street...am sure it was just as romantic in Australia!

So the William Quill was a brother of Margaret Quill Reynolds?

Yes, I too thought Ireland.

When I first started my own family research I had Belfast on a Victorian cert. I posted on RC trying to locate my Mary in Ireland. I can’t recall how I then discovered Belfast in Victoria, which was where she was from.

Jamjar

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 January 19 09:02 GMT (UK) »

Mother’s death:

1896 6599 QUILL Johanna parents Lenanhan Thos and Ellen (Hanigan) Place of death: Macarthur, aged 77

Jamjar

Those are very Irish names Lene/i/an/han and Hanigan with the usual potential for many different ways of spelling? 

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 January 19 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for a lot of information I have to decipher my way through it all.
I had also since found that I could not locate Margaret's actual birth, but found her siblings and was going to ask if here was any chance Margaret was Mary. I also wondered why they were all registered in 1847, surely not all born together.

Before I can go right through it all, sorry I should have mentioned it was in Australia, that was poor of me. Belfast was the original name of Port Fairy (which changed I think in 1901 around the time of the Federation of Australia). There were a lot of Irish immigrants to the area and also some Irish names to some towns such as Killarney.

I need to go through all the information you have provided me with and see how it all fits into the family tree.

I don't want to diverge in the wrong thread and by all means if I am meant to ask this elsewhere, please advise, but do you know how i would be able to find out what ship John Reynolds arrived on from USA?

Thanks so many times over again

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 January 19 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I’ve added to reply #10.

I too wondered if Mary was Margaret.

My Belfast/Port Fairy ancestors were Welsh.  :)

Finding him on a ship could be difficult, with such a common name.

Jamjar