Author Topic: Convict Samuel Beaman  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Mariea Christoforou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convict Samuel Beaman
« on: Sunday 13 January 19 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone
It's been a while since I posted a message. After purchasing the book In the wake of the Lord Melville I was able to find a lot of information about the Allen family.
I have a new search : when,if ever, did convict Samuel Beaman  who was transported on the Captain Cook II in 1833 and who received a ticket of leave in 1837 and was allowed to stay in the Parramatta region, reunite with his wife Mary née Humphries from Middlesex, and their children?
Many thanks, Mariea

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Convict Samuel Beaman
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 January 19 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Samuel BEAMAN ...

Hello everyone
It's been a while since I posted a message. After purchasing the book In the wake of the Lord Melville I was able to find a lot of information about the Allen family.
I have a new search : when,if ever, did convict Samuel Beaman  who was transported on the Captain Cook II in 1833 and who received a ticket of leave in 1837 and was allowed to stay in the Parramatta region, reunite with his wife Mary née Humphries from Middlesex, and their children?
Many thanks, Mariea

Are you sure that your Samuel BEAMAN is the chap who was transported to NSW in 1833 ... there's a number of chaps named Samuel BEAMAN and I have a long list of Samuel BOWMAN chaps too... 

What 19th century NSW BDM documents lead you back to the chap arriving 1833 per the Captain Cook II? 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 January 19 02:42 GMT (UK) »
The Samuel BEAUMAN who was buried at Rookwood Cemetery 15 August 1883 is NOT the chap who was transported in 1833.  The chap who was buried Rookwood 15 Aug 1883 was aged 56.  Double Plot,  Wesleyan, Section 3A, Row 13.   He was a family man, as per the newspaper cuttings:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111025299 Evening News 14 August 1883
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111025299 SMH 14 August 1883 – mentions his sons Richard and George BEAMAN …. And his address : 20 Mary St, Waterloo.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13542195 SMH 17 August 1883 – sorrowing wife and family
See https://www.geni.com/people/Samuel-Beaman/6000000056580674922

I will ask one of the volunteer Global Moderators to consider hiving off your enquiry on Samuel BEAMAN into a new thread on the main Australia Board.

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 January 19 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Reunited where?

What were Mary’s parents’ names and the names of the children?

BEAMAN Samuel Captain Cook 1833 40/0077 9 Jan 1840 Certificate of Freedom [4/4355; Reel 1005] TL 37/1483

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Mariea Christoforou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 January 19 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jamjar,
I don't know Mary's parents' names but Mary Humphries was born around 1795-1802? in Middlesex and appeared on the England and Wales 1841 census with sons Samuel and Richard. As I am not a subscriber to Ancestry.com I have not seen any documents to support this information. In my previous post I mentioned that Convict Samuel Beaman from Middlesex applied to be reunited with his family and a Mary Beaman (Humphries) did come to Australia with her family in 1851. I think that the Samuel Beaman buried in 1883 was the son Samuel left behind in England when convict Samuel was transported to Australia and who later came out with his mother Mary Humphries and brother Richard.
Thank you for your help.
Mariea

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 January 19 00:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a death notice for a Richard BEAMAN, but I can’t see a death for him on NSWBDM, 2nd column:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article197978728

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 January 19 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Samuel arrived 1833, under a 7-year sentence, so he was emancipated by 1840 which is also the year that convictism effectively ceased in NSW.  He would have been free to travel anywhere, and his Certificate of Freedom has been noted by Jamjar.

I have several questions,

:) Perhaps you could confirm which NSW BDM documents and/or newspaper announcements are giving you family history type information to show that Mary BEAMAN nee HUMPHRIES and her sons, Samuel and Richard came to NSW?  If you have the death certs (or official transcriptions) for their deaths in NSW, what answers are recorded for the question ‘how long in the colonies’…

:) Can you please advise the name of the ship and to which colony for Mary BEAMAN and her two children, coming to Australia in 1851 …those two lads would have been adults by then so probably manifested separately …  ?   

:) When did the chap who arrived 1833 apply for his wife and sons to come to NSW?   Convictism effectively ceased to NSW in 1840. 
                 :)  :) Is it possible she and her children came as Immigrants as part of the then general Immigration Schemes that existed in the 1840s and into the 1850s?,
                 :)  :) If so, the passenger lists usually show their NSW relatives and/or parents and at least their own native places….
                 :)  :) So, it is possible to check what information is recorded against the two lads … I would expect it to at least note ‘mother on board’ and that father resides at …….. in NSW.

NSW Archives here: https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/
Perhaps you have the papers for
 :) Richard BEAMAN, the labourer sequested in 1907 …
 :) Mary BEAMAN, the widow, late of Darlinghurst and her own deceased file/probate etc 1930
 :) Samuel Charles BEAMAN, and Hannah BEAMAN … divorce/maintenance papers in 1900

Re Samuel Charles BEAMAN,
 :D his NSW BDM d.c. will show his parents as Samuel and Janet.  He died in 1935, and the death registered Redfern.  #6099.    NSW BDM online index also shows at least two others by the surname BEAMAN who had parents as Samuel and Janet/Jennet.     
 :D Janet BEAMAN died in 1902, her death gives her parents as Richard and Elizabeth. #3850
 :) And does that d.c. show her marriage, and
 :) what name recorded for her husband, and for her children and their ages …  (so, if her husband was your Samuel, then this info will not include his children by Margaret  Add, oops,  Mary  ::) my typo  :-[ ). 

Re Richard BEAMAN,
 :) a chap by that name died in 1940 aged 85 at Marrickville.  His death was registered Marrickville.  #27216 From his D.C. where was he born, how long in the colonies/state. 

:) Re Mary BEAMAN, nee HUMPHRIES … so there’s not just that 1930 death to consider, but I can see a burial indexed at NSWBDM for a Mary BEAMAN in 1854…. Vol 41A will be Church of England and likely there will be scant info on that Early Church Record.  The index does show she was aged 52, so born circa 1802.   Line 742 of Vol 41A of1854,   

I will try to find spare time later this week to help further, but likely I will need some information from those questions.    I have asked my husband to get out my archival boxes on my Bowman/Beaman research.  The spelling variations are extensive, some caused by illiteracy, some caused by not being available for transcribing until the mid-20th Century, so worn through, ink bleeds, thumbed through, badly bound up, etc….

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 January 19 00:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a death notice for a Richard BEAMAN, but I can’t see a death for him on NSWBDM, 2nd column:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article197978728

Jamjar

I wonder if that is for Surrey Hills, in Victoria?   Vic BDM has a Richard BEAMAN's death in 1892, with parents as Sam and Mary...  #5010.   

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 January 19 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Samuel BOWEN, death in 1870 in Tasmania at aged 72

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/65983694 26 Feb 1870 Cornwall Chronicle...

JM