Author Topic: Origin of Jeffreys in Polwarth  (Read 2102 times)

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Origin of Jeffreys in Polwarth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 08:40 BST (UK) »
Well, I guess, then, that I would like to see your research on the Jeffrays. I'm interested in the information that led you to believe that Alexander Jeffray was the son of John Jeffray and Alison Swanstoun. My email address is JimJeffrey@sbcglobal.net, if that would be an easier way to send me your research. Thanks so much!

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Origin of Jeffreys in Polwarth
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 09:04 BST (UK) »
CatsC is right, I have no specific knowledge of the Jaffray family, just recognised a name I had come across in my researches, and offered possible interpretations of the evidence available in the Polwarth kirk registers.
I am interested in the Jaffray/Burnet connection, as George Baillie, husband of Lady Grisell was connected to the Burnet family and Mellerstain House contains two portraits of Gilbert (Bishop) Burnet and another one of his second wife Mary Scott with her children Thomas, Mary, Elizabeth and William (eventual governor of New York).
A James Jaffray is being paid for (unspecified) work in the 1690s in Grisell, Countess of Marchmont's 'Compt Book'. Does anyone claim him?
Lady Grisell Baillie, Mistress of Mellerstain was published in 2020.
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram