Author Topic: Were your ethnicity estimates a surprise?  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Were your ethnicity estimates a surprise?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 25 January 19 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I was tested by Ancestry DNA a christmas gift from my son .

Have you logged in to your DNA page on Ancestry or did your son set it up?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Bambi1st

• RootsChat Extra
  • Life is short ,live it x
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 25 January 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I logged in and it said 50% Irish and 50% English but it was all the other stuff I didnt understand ,I will have to get my brother to look at it when he is next over .
Keane. Ward. Slucock. Simmons.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 25 January 19 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Have a read of this:

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/wedding18.htm#Masterclass

If you have any particular questions, just ask. We'll try to help  :)

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Bambi1st

• RootsChat Extra
  • Life is short ,live it x
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 25 January 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much :)
Keane. Ward. Slucock. Simmons.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I know the ethnicity results need to be taken with a pinch of salt, but was somewhat amused after uploading my AncestryDNA raw data to MyHeritage to be told I have no English DNA at all. ;D

Ancestry ethnicity - 97% England, Wales, and North Western Europe, 3% Scotland and Ireland

which is pretty much what I would expect based on paper trail

MyHeritage ethnicity - 50.5% North and Western Europe, 33.2% Scotland, Ireland & Wales, 12.2% Scandinavian, 4.1% Finnish, 0% English

Now I know it depends on their sampling and yes I can see that as I do have quite a lot of East Anglian ancestors they may appear under North and Western Europe, and the probable Welsh ancestors (Welsh surnames, no idea where they came from), but to say 0% English does beg the question. :-X

That said, I have matched a second cousin of my father's who I've had contact with before and the amount is about right compared to a 2nd cousin of my mother's on Ancestry, although twice as much as another of Dad's second cousins on that line on Ancestry).  MH are saying 1st cousin or 2 cousin twice removed, but he is actually 2nd cousin once removed.  And someone I match on Gedmatch also appears so its definitely my DNA.  However, they are showing matches with people in Germany, which may mean I might have a chance at working out where my 3xGreat Grandfather came from. :)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I know the ethnicity results need to be taken with a pinch of salt, but was somewhat amused after uploading my AncestryDNA raw data to MyHeritage to be told I have no English DNA at all. ;D

Ancestry ethnicity - 97% England, Wales, and North Western Europe, 3% Scotland and Ireland

which is pretty much what I would expect based on paper trail

MyHeritage ethnicity - 50.5% North and Western Europe, 33.2% Scotland, Ireland & Wales, 12.2% Scandinavian, 4.1% Finnish, 0% English

Now I know it depends on their sampling and yes I can see that as I do have quite a lot of East Anglian ancestors they may appear under North and Western Europe, and the probable Welsh ancestors (Welsh surnames, no idea where they came from), but to say 0% English does beg the question. :-X

That said, I have matched a second cousin of my father's who I've had contact with before and the amount is about right compared to a 2nd cousin of my mother's on Ancestry, although twice as much as another of Dad's second cousins on that line on Ancestry).  MH are saying 1st cousin or 2 cousin twice removed, but he is actually 2nd cousin once removed.  And someone I match on Gedmatch also appears so its definitely my DNA.  However, they are showing matches with people in Germany, which may mean I might have a chance at working out where my 3xGreat Grandfather came from. :)
This ties in with my experience smudwhisk, some very different ethnicity breakdowns on MyHeritage with much more 'Celtic' Scotland/Ireland DNA than what was mostly English on Ancestry. Also some extra regions I am not 100% sure if they are accurate or just 'noise'. My ancestry % breakdowns for my parents both match my recorded ancestry so I think we can say at the moment Ancestry are more accurate for the ethnicity breakdowns. I presume they are doing a similar analysis on England/Scotland/Wales as they have recently done with Ireland, so hopefully we might get a more accurate and detailed breakdown there in the not too distant future.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks melba, glad its not just me with some weird MH ethnicity results.  If it wasn't for the fact that I match a few known cousins at different levels, I'd wonder if it was my sample.  The weirdest is the Scandinavian/Finnish, apart from a possible multi-x great grandfather who could be Norwegian or Danish, nothing shows.  There is known French Huguenot/Walloon and the aforementioned German 3x Great Grandfather but nothing else.  I have no known Irish, one confirmed 4x GGF from Scotland but possibly another but don't know where from (its I think a Scottish surname) and while there are some Welsh names on both sides of the family, don't know where they were from (they all appeared in London pre 1800s) but I suppose English counties bordering Wales could get reflected in the MH sample and appear as Welsh.  Who knows. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 14 February 19 11:37 GMT (UK) »

Hi smudwhisk,

I seem to have more English DNA on the 'My Heritage' Site than I do on Ancestry! (But perhaps their calculations are different? Or they've just split it up more?)

This is my Ancestry Ethnicity Estimate:

England, Wales & North Western Europe
Wales & the West Midlands: 52%
Southern England
Ireland and Scotland: 37%
European Jewish 7%
Germanic Europe 2%
Sweden 2%

On My Heritage:

North and West Europe : 93.5%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh : 48.7%
English:40.2%
Finnish : 4.6%
South Europe: 3.5%
Iberian : 3.5%
Ashkenazi Jewish : 3.0%

I have no idea where the Askenazi Jewish DNA come from... But it must be on my BrickWall Paternal side, as my first cousins on that side also have it.

Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 14 February 19 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Ethnicity "estimates" are tosh.

My original Ancestry test had 12% Scandinavian, amended to 3% Norway (when they increased the number of their reference groups).

The same data at MyHeritage - 53.3% Scandinavian  ;D

Ethnicity "estimates" at MyH are double tosh !!!!

West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop