Author Topic: What did a solicitor's clerk actually do?  (Read 6923 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What did a solicitor's clerk actually do?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 September 19 11:26 BST (UK) »
This wedding of Leonard's was in late 1928, and was to Barbara Helen Stephens. If you'd like the details of the news articles, etc, PM me. Photos are always the icing on the cake for me, as I have none of any family on my dad's side, from before the 1890s.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What did a solicitor's clerk actually do?
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 September 19 18:37 BST (UK) »
After my paternal grandfather's death in 1918 and upon learning how little was bequeathed, my father and his six siblings thought their late father's solicitor had been dipping his hand into the trust fund he'd set up for their mother, but I doubt they did anything about it.

My sincere apologies if Wilfred is to blame.  My father told me yesterday that he knew his grandfather (Wilfred) had misappropriated money from his wife's family - the Purssells, and that Wlfred's son, my grandfather Leonard, had spent much of his life trying to repay the Purssells.  It doesn't take much of a stretch of imagination to believe that Wilfred may have dipped his hand into other client funds.  It seems that Wilfred maybe the black sheep in the Parker tree.

Thank you for your concern Emma, but none of us can be responsible for anyone but ourselves, and besides, there's been a lot of water under the bridge since that then and I doubt anyone could list with accuracy the outcomes of all the global manipulations, machinations, etc., of the financial money market at the start of the 20th century.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke