Author Topic: Ashworth Family  (Read 5488 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ashworth Family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 August 05 19:42 BST (UK) »
On the 1861 census there are potential candidates for three of Lucy's brothers all living nearby to Marple Bridge.
William 1808 (with two daughters named Lucy and Betty) a felt hatter
John 1814 (with a daughter named Lucy) a carter
Edwin 1821, a felt hatter
No Joseph.
All three of these Ashworth men live in Werneth and gave Werneth as their place of birth. I believe Werneth is close to Marple Bridge. Perhaps Marple Bridge  Congregational chapel was their nearest Independent chapel?
Also in Werneth and born Werneth circa 1812 on the 1861 census is a Lucy Dean. Without knowing the Lucy Ashworth's married name it is difficult to know whether Lucy Dean is another potential candidate or just a red herring.

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marilyn G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 05 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you to all of you, your ideas are all so welcomed.  I am having a difficult time understanding the terminology used and thus, am just not sure where (or how) to search.  But, now thanks to all of your great ideas, I am understanding more...................I THINK!!!!?????!!!
1.  What does "Independent" mean?
2.  Are Derby and Derbyshire the same?
3. "Formerly Mill Brow Independent", what does that mean?

As I have said, I am a very, very beginner.  Thank you Peter for the research help, can you please tell me where I write to request marriage information?  Thank you Valda, can you please share ideas as to where a beginner can "get started with family research" so they do not have to always bother others with so many questions?  I am sure all of you have much of your own family research to do and so taking time to help me, a real "new-be" is so very appreciated.  Marilyn G

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 August 05 22:53 BST (UK) »
Derby is a city in the county of Derbyshire, but in the case of the baptisms Derby is being used by the IGI as an abbreviation for Derbyshire.

Independent is a type of non-conformism, but independent of other denominations like Methodism and Baptists. The main Independents were Congregationalists which I'm fairly sure exist in America and are known by the same name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congregational_church

In this country the Congregationalists are now known as The United Reform church, since they amalgamated with the Presbyterias in 1972.
I'm presuming at one point this chapel was known as Mill Brow Independent and then it changed its name to Marple Bridge Independent, hence the use of the term formerly. It was founded in 1662.

It is difficult to know how to advise you further with Lucy Ashworth if we don't know anything further about her life, such as did she emigrate to America? What was the name of her child that you descend from. Was the child's surname Moles? The Lucy who married Samuel Moles gave her birthplace on the censuses as Stockport. Ashworth is not an unusual surname in this area, so there are plenty of Ashworths about and probably more than one Lucy. Your Lucy had a sister called Hannah baptised in 1820. With Lucy Moles on the 1841 census was a Hannah Ashworth (no relationship given on the 1841 census) aged 13. Therefore a birth of circa 1828. Who was she if she was related to your Lucy?
Peter is suggesting this Lucy Ashworth on the censuses as a possibilty for your Lucy. He isn't saying it is proven.

The reference to the Lucy Moles marriage is

Moles, Lucy 1854 March (quarter) Stockport (registration district) Volume 8a page 75

You can order the certificate online directly from

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/

This marriage certificate will give you the name of the father of that Lucy Ashworth's father's name and his occupation. At present you don't know your Lucy Ashworth's father's occupation, only his name. A marriage certificate will not give you any details of her mother.
To get further details on your known Lucy and her parents from the baptismal register of Marple Bridge you need to contact Derbyshire Record Offices who have copies of the deposited register (the actual register is deposited with the National Archives). More information of what is available is on this website

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Marple/

Derbyshire Record Office website is at

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/record_office/

The whole point of the Rootschat website is that people are volunteering to 'be bothered' by helping others with their research. They want to do it.
That way people like you can become more experienced and knowledgeable as we work through the potential records that are available.

It is possible to work back through the U.S. censuses. The last one available is 1930. So if you are unsure about connections it is possible to go from the known of your family line in the U.S. back to what might be less known in England. Can you trace this line back in the U.S. before 1930? Can we help you with that?

Regards
Valda

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 12:36 BST (UK) »
If you still want to know more try the Beginners links site
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,290.0.html

Or www.genuki.org.uk
or www.familysearch.org which I think is for Americans searching their British roots

Hope this helps

Sylviaann
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Marilyn G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 15:16 BST (UK) »
Greetings!!

I will take your suggestions Silviaann and go for a visit to the sites you sent the links to, thank you.

Valda, I am not sure how the Ashworth name links into my family.  My parents have passed away but I believe the Ashworth family may have a connection to my fathers side.  My mothers side is from Germany.  My father's name is Underwood but he was adopted at about 4 years of age (in his papers, one document states he was born January 7, 1926).  Thus, I do not have much family information on him.  He was born in the U.S.A. but I believe Underwood to be an English name.  His adoptive parents have passed away long ago and so my sister and I think the paper we found (among his things) with the name "Lucy Ashworth born November 21, 1812" and her parents names with birthdates as well would possibly relate way, way, back in his family......maybe even his adoptive family (their name was Kuehnl), we just do not know.   Thank you for your help, Marilyn