Author Topic: Jane Muiry (Copland) 1815 -  (Read 1781 times)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Muiry (Copland) 1815 -
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 19 13:58 GMT (UK) »
So my James Reid Muiry died in 1863.  But his father named 2 sons James Muiry and James Reid Muiry just to different mothers or am I getting confused?
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 19 14:30 GMT (UK) »
So my James Reid Muiry died in 1863.  But his father named 2 sons James Muiry and James Reid Muiry just to different mothers or am I getting confused?

That's what it looks like.

I do have a couple of instances in my tree where legitimate and illegitimate children have the same or similar names, so it's not unheard of. And our James may not have named the first child at all, that may well have been the mother - I can't find a baptism, so it's possible the child wasn't recognised by his father initially.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 January 19 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ruthhelen :).
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 January 19 14:42 GMT (UK) »
And our James may not have named the first child at all, that may well have been the mother - I can't find a baptism, so it's possible the child wasn't recognised by his father initially.
And the mother may have named the child after his father just to make sure everyone knew who the father was.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.