Author Topic: family History a search for a Charles Richard Davis  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: family History a search for a Charles Richard Davis
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 23:27 GMT (UK) »

I am not sure where you get the names John DAVIS and Mary (nee GLEGG) from as I have not included them unless these are the parents of the Davis  buried at Stanley that you have not crossed out? I am puzzled. 

Hi ... correct, you did not include names of those parents.   But my reference was simply a courtesy post to advise that (in case you had not found them in your search of the Tasmanian archives (BDM),  there were two children named "William Arthur DAVIS" born late 1880 and in 1885. [the 1885 one is the subject of this thread, and yes, his parents were Richard DAVIS (Richard A.W. DAVIS) and Elizabeth nee ADAMS.

~  Lu   

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 23:32 GMT (UK) »

Is it not possible that a person born in 1880s could be married twice? He would be in his 40s at the time of the marriage to Olive Ingram.

Yes, but he'd only die once !    Sorry, I'm not understanding where you are coming from with the query on William Arthur DAVIS.     ???    Why does it matter that this man married in his 40's ???

Incidentally, the bride's surname was "INGHAM" (not Ingram). 

~  Lu

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Only that the search is still ongoing in case he married earlier/younger and wife died or they parted.....or are you happy just to find one marriage and leave it at that? 

An earlier marriage could well have produced children?

Noted the spelling of wife's surname. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 23:45 GMT (UK) »

I am not sure where you get the names John DAVIS and Mary (nee GLEGG) from as I have not included them unless these are the parents of the Davis  buried at Stanley that you have not crossed out? I am puzzled. 

Hi ... correct, you did not include names of those parents.   But my reference was simply a courtesy post to advise that (in case you had not found them in your search of the Tasmanian archives (BDM),  there were two children named "William Arthur DAVIS" born late 1880 and in 1885. [the 1885 one is the subject of this thread, and yes, his parents were Richard DAVIS (Richard A.W. DAVIS) and Elizabeth nee ADAMS.

~  Lu   

OK just pointing out in your  crossing out the bits about the wrong WAD you also crossed out the correct bits about the WA Davis we are searching for ie that I had found the full name of father, with an interesting convergence of names linking in with Wiliiam's brother Walter Alexander,  and a a possible MS of the mother. 

???

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 23:47 GMT (UK) »
OP has not come back (yet) with whether they have got this material that is being found. 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 31 January 19 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Lucy 2   Getting back to you,with my search of brothers Walter and William Davis or Davies living
about 20 miles from Reefton.
Minnie their sister and her child,returned to Australia aboard the Warrimoo, sailing on April 29 1911
travelled saloon and ship went to Melb and Hobart.
Someone doing research found this, but I cannot find Minnie going to N Z after child born 1905/1906
where she resided for 5 years

Hi again Lavender Blue

I don't always have the time to do in depth searches - and in this case with having to check both DAVIS and DAVIES ... and just Walter and William (in case they didn't always use their second names) .. it all takes extra effort.     

Glad that you have managed to trace Minnie and child returning to AUS.

Just need to point out in respect of passenger lists / shipping details, that those applicable to trans-Tasman travel, don't always carry a great deal of detail.  ie  sometimes age / occupation are missing ... or there is just an initial instead of a christian name.    Worse still, on some voyages just the first class or cabin passengers are named ... others are just lumped into the category "... number of steerage passengers" (no names supplied).  ::)   Usually it was only a 3 or 4 day journey, to and from AUS ... and British subjects were free to come and go from both countries,  as they pleased and without supplying a lot of personal detail.
Sometimes though we can get lucky and find a person, but otherwise the scenario outlined above, is what we are faced with.  ;D   

It's always a good idea, where possible, to check incoming (non-immigrant) passenger lists for Australian states (in case a person has returned there).  Often these can give different or additional info.

I'm guessing Walter and William had links to the mining industry in / around Buller and Reefton ?
Not perhaps unusually, there were many miners who hailed from Wales (and also had the name DAVIS / DAVIES) ... so there is a lot to be sifted through.     

No guarantees that I'll find the NZ info you want, but will try looking further.

~  Lu

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 31 January 19 00:43 GMT (UK) »
So Lavender Blue is keen for information about the time in NZ for the brothers?  and possibly the return journeys?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 31 January 19 00:45 GMT (UK) »
National Archives of Australia WW1 records
DAVIS William Arthur  #3523 born Beaconsfield TAS, enlisted Queenstown TAS, NOK Richard DAVIS, father, Beaconsfield
Wife Olive V DAVIS. William died 10 Mar 1935.

BDM NSW marriage
2115/1921 DAVIS  William A  marr.   INGHAM    Olive V  @ Charswood

BDM NSW  death
1911/1935 DAVIS  William A  parents Richard / Elizabeth  @ Nth Sydney

6703/1944 DAVIS  Olive Veronica parents Roger / Ann @ Sydney

Until you have a definite indication of Minnie DAVIS in NZ, beyond family stories, I think we have accounted for trying to locate her there.......... during your earlier enquiry. Shipping records are short on detail, and often  with only initials used.

Do you have death certificates for mother Minnie and her daughter, which might show time in NZ?. If it was just a few years I doubt that it would be mentioned. 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 31 January 19 00:54 GMT (UK) »
wivenhoe ... some of that info already given in this thread.   :)