Author Topic: Baird/Wilson/Clements - Doagh  (Read 2214 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baird/Wilson/Clements - Doagh
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Have found quite a bit more which I'm trying to type up and digest but Mary (McCleery) Clements died 6 July 1925.

Londonderry Sentinel, 3 June 1947: ... that the first three wives of Dr. Clements all died intestate. The three wills were issued simultaneously. Mrs. Mary Clements (nee McCleery) of Princess Road, Moss Side, Manchester. who died on July 6, 1925. left £425. Letters of administration were granted to Robert George Clements, medical practitioner, and Agnes McCleery, widow. Mrs. Sarah…

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline HolestoneRaider

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, I thought you knew it! Husband's aunt was nearly 100 when she died a few years ago and she was a nurse from Doagh so probably had heard the story at the time.

Offline HolestoneRaider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, I thought you knew it! Husband's aunt was nearly 100 when she died a few years ago and she was a nurse from Doagh so probably had heard the story at the time.

I knew there were mysterious circumstances, but had never looked deep enough into it to know it was a nationwide sensation at the time!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Here's a start for the family tree but will probably send details of Dr. Clements' son later by PM-

James Wilson (c1824-8 Apr.1908), farmer, m. Eliza (c1824-aft.1908). Ballyhamage House
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ballyclare/Bullyhammage/918383
McCleery on actual page- http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000256112/
Probate of the Will of James Wilson late of Ballyhamage County Antrim Farmer who died 8 April 1908 granted at Belfast to Martha Baird Married Woman Anne Jane Wilson Eliza Wilson Spinsters and Agnes McCleery Widow.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ballyclare_Rural/Ballyhamage/109105
1.   Anne Jane “Annie” Wilson (c1856-30 Aug.1938)
Wilson Anne Jane of Ballyhamage House Doagh county Antrim spinster died 30 August 1938 Probate Belfast 12 April to The Northern Bank Limited. Effects £1467 1s. 10d.
2.   Eliza Wilson (c1859-8 Mar.1948)
Northern Whig, 10 Mar.1948: WILSON—March 8. 1948. at her residence, Ballyhamage House, Eliza Wilson, dearly loved sister of Martha Baird. House strictly private. Funeral to-day (Wednesday), 4 pm., Church Lane, Doagh. Deeply regretted …
Wilson Eliza of Ballyhamage House Doagh county Antrim spinster died 8 March 1948 Probate Belfast 16 January [1950] to Northern Bank Limited. Effects £2295 0s. 4d.
3.   Martha Wilson (c1864-6 June 1953) m.(25 Aug.1903 Carrickfergus 1st Presbyterian Church) John Baird (c1855-7 Jan.1912)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1903/10243/5728073.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05376/4499479.pdf (heart dis. 2 yrs)
Administration of the Estate of John Baird late of Ballywee Kilbride Doagh County Antrim Farmer who died 7 January 1912 granted at Belfast to Martha Baird the Widow
Baird Martha of Ballyhamage House Doagh county Antrim widow died 6 June 1953 Probate Belfast 23 June [1954] to Robert George Wilson Clements no occupation. Effects £116 1s. 6d.
4.   Agnes M. Wilson (c1869-5 Oct.1936) m.(5 Sept.1894 Ballyhamage House) Samuel McCleery (c1866-30 Aug.1906)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1894/10566/5849334.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1906/05556/4559302.pdf
Belfast Newsletter, 4 Aug.1906: MR. SAMUEL M’CLEERY. We regret very much report the death Mr. Samuel M’Cleery, of Ballyhamage House, Doagh, which took place yesterday, after month's illness. Mr. M‘Cleery was for many years principal buyer for the firm of Messrs. J. T. Sinclair & Co. …
Belfast Newsletter, 4 Aug.1906: M’CLEERY—August 3, at the Private Hospital, … Avenue, Belfast, Samuel M‘Cleery. His remains will removed from his late residence, Ballyhamage House, Doagh, on Monday morning, _th inst., at eleven o’clock …
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Samuel M'Cleery late of Ballyhamage House Doagh County Antrim Buyer who died 30 August 1906 at Fitzroy-avenue Belfast were granted at Belfast to Agnes M'Cleery the Widow.
McCleery Agnes of Ballyhamage House Doagh county Antrim widow died 5 October 1936 Probate Belfast 18 February to Eliza Wilson spinster Robert George Clements doctor of medicine and Hugh Gaston bank manager. Effects £770 10s. 6d.

Offline HolestoneRaider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, thats all very helpful.  I wouldn't be anywhere near this without your help.

Quick question...if effects are left to the Northern Bank Ltd - what does this mean - are these funds used to clear a debt or do they not want the details publicised so they go via the bank?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Quick question...if effects are left to the Northern Bank Ltd - what does this mean - are these funds used to clear a debt or do they not want the details publicised so they go via the bank?

Not at all. It was, and possibly still is, quite common to appoint a bank official to probate an estate, especially if there were no relatives to do so (not in close contact or lived a distance way, not able to deal with the paperwork, etc.). Whilst there were certain fees an executor would have been entitled to collect from the estate their job was merely to divide the estate according to wishes of the deceased (in the event of a valid Will).

According to what I've gotten so far, young RGW Clements was in the Navy during WWII & in 1947 was studying. He might have been back to Ballyhamage after that (in 1948 was secretary for a horse-jumping and riding competition) but strangely enough listed as 'of no occupation' when probate granted for Aunt Martha's estate in 1954.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 18:25 GMT (UK) »
England & Wales Probate Calendar. 1966. CLEMENTS Robert George Wilson of Weston-Lee Ballyvoy Doagh Antrim died 6 Dec.1965 at Waveney Hospital Ballymena Antrim Probate Belfast to Theodora Joyce Clements widow. £387 in England. Sealed London 8 July.

According to online tree-
Wife Theodora Joyce (McKee) Clements born 21 Feb.1915 Strabane, Co.Tyrone & died 16 Oct.2014 Co.Antrim. One son.

Will send you obituary with details of son, grandchildren, etc.