Author Topic: Marriage 1950: Edward HARRISON to Elizabeth CRANE  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Marriage 1950: Edward HARRISON to Elizabeth CRANE
« on: Wednesday 23 January 19 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Looking through the FreeBMD marriage index I came across the above marriage (Kettering 3b 1505 JAS 1950). Is it possible to confirm the following supposition?

This was both members of the couple's second marriage as follows:

Edward Harrison married Lillian Emma Tansley in Cottingham on June 15th 1912
Lillian E Harrison died in 1938

Charles Crane married Elizabeth Stapleton also in 1912
Charles Crane died in 1948

In the 1939 Register, Elizabeth Crane's surname is crossed out and replaced with Harrison.

Many thanks

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage 1950: Edward HARRISON to Elizabeth CRANE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Seems very likely but to lookup the marriage you need to know which church it took place in.  There is also the possibility it was a civil marriage.

As you know Elizabeth's birth details from the 1939 entry  - you could check for a death under Harrison.  If she died from 1969 onwards her full birthdate will be shown  - otherwise just her age

Charles Crane married Elizabeth Stapleton also in 1912

Possible mistranscription on freebmd - Charley Crane
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

After a little searching in FindMyPast, I did track down the death of an Elizabeth Harrison in Corby (7 1872 JAS 1975). There is a minor glitch with her date of birth - recorded here as June 1st 1892 whereas in the 1939 Register it was 1893. I'll accept that though.

Thanks for your help

Alan

Supplemental: Just found Elizabeth's baptism record. Looks as if her parents, Joseph Munton Stapleton and Mary Ann Swann, were saving up for a job lot! Their four daughters were all baptised on the same day at St John the Baptist, Corby on May 1st 1904. They were as follows:

Elizabeth (born June 1st 1892 - see date disparity above)
Ada Swann (born January 5th 1894)
Florence (born Fenruary 16th 1898)
Rose (February 9th 1901)
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 January 19 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Supplemental: Just found Elizabeth's baptism record. Looks as if her parents, Joseph Munton Stapleton and Mary Ann Swann, were saving up for a job lot! Their four daughters were all baptised on the same day at St John the Baptist, Corby on May 1st 1904. They were as follows:

Elizabeth (born June 1st 1892 - see date disparity above)
Ada Swann (born January 5th 1894)
Florence (born Fenruary 16th 1898)
Rose (February 9th 1901)

Cheaper to have one big party than 4 separate ones!  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 January 19 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Not wanting to stretch this thread out too far, but I found a couple of further curiosities with this family in the Corby Baptism records. I started going backwards from the page with the four entries above and came across the following:
On the previous page (same date but separated from the four girls above) was Annie Stapleton who was an infant.
Then: January 28th 1902: Rose - a private baptism

So, all five girls were baptised (one twice!) but their two sons (Frederick b. 1890 and Joseph b 1903) apparently weren't. All seven children were surviving at the time of the 1911 census.

Alan

-----------------

One of my particular research interests is how families were multiply interconnected. This family is such a case:
Brothers Charles and William Crane were married to sisters Elizabeth and Ada Swann Stapleton - their unions were separated by 8 years