Author Topic: William Boaden or Boden  (Read 1060 times)

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Boaden or Boden
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Baptism at Warkleigh  1769
William son of John & Mary Bowden privately baptised February 19th. recd March 20th

Something to note is that although around Manchester (where Bowden is a reasonably common name) Boden, Boaden and Bowden would all be pronounced the same, that is not at all the case in Devon or Cornwall, where Bowden has the ow of "how". Exceptions do exist: for example my name has  Bowden pronounced like Boden, but that's because my great-grandmother thought her husband's name sounded "common" and bossed him into changing the pronunciation. All this makes me wonder if William son of John & Mary Bowden can be assumed to be the William Boaden or Boden of the question. On the other hand I've never come across either Boaden or Boden as names in Devon.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Boaden or Boden
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 19 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find the parents of William Boaden or Boden borne 1766 South Molton Devon
He married Judith Hole born 1772 their marriage took place 26 Dec 1807 Clifton Bristol Glos.
We are also looking for the husband of Sophia Williams who married a man surname Boaden
We know she was married before to Frederick John Williams who was a banker in Bristol
Regards Chris

I have some Holes in my records (holes too, but I'm not referring to them). Probably the same family, as Joshua Hole (1689-1746) was Vicar of South Molton (there is a memorial to him in the Church). His children were John, Joshua, William, Nicholas, Lewis, Sarah, Ann, Margaret, of similar age to your Judith.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)