Author Topic: Elizabeth Crossley, possible clean up of photo WRY Crossley  (Read 2549 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Crossley, possible clean up of photo WRY Crossley
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 19 20:33 GMT (UK) »
The prop is a throwback to the 1870's when it was commonly used particularly for photos of women.
Not used much in the 1880's. I think the photographer could have done with a studio makeover.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
My try. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 January 19 22:32 GMT (UK) »
The prop is a throwback to the 1870's when it was commonly used particularly for photos of women.
Not used much in the 1880's. I think the photographer could have done with a studio makeover.

haha!  we are a bit of a backwater here!!
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 January 19 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 January 19 22:39 GMT (UK) »
She is certainly showing off her ring isn't she  :D have you tried searching for her as Betty or Eliza, I have found it got results for me in the past.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 January 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
She is certainly showing off her ring isn't she  :D have you tried searching for her as Betty or Eliza, I have found it got results for me in the past.
Carol

I have tried EVERYTHING!!!!!  She does not want to be found.  A newspaper report of 1883 says her sister called her Lizzie.  Tried that too. And every spelling variation of Crossley I can come up with. 
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline esseco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 January 19 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire,
She was a lovely looking woman.
I'm curious about you not finding her and would like to put my tuppence worth in to try and help.

Is Crossley her married name? Where was she born?

If you want me to go away, just say so, I wont be offended. I'm a sticky nose for family history and like to help everyone. :>)

Cheers,
Di
Esse, Cooper, Mahony/Mahoney, Krause, Klemke, Schreiber, Duff,  - UK/Australia/Europe/

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 January 19 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire,
She was a lovely looking woman.
I'm curious about you not finding her and would like to put my tuppence worth in to try and help.

Is Crossley her married name? Where was she born?

If you want me to go away, just say so, I wont be offended. I'm a sticky nose for family history and like to help everyone. :>)

Cheers,
Di

how kind of you!  She was born in 1851 at Hollow Meadows WRY daughter of Charles Crossley and Mary Poynton.  She had at least 4 illegitimate children (I posted yesterday on a separate thread in the Common Room about them, entitled Total Confusion! https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=807226.0

I found her in 1871 in Dukinfield as a servant.  Elizabeth had four illegitimate children – Mary (also known by the names Mary Alice, Mary Florence and Florence Mary) in 1874, Ernest in 1876, Wright in 1879 and Thomas Marsh Crossley in 1886 (my great grandfather).  The first two children were brought up by Elizabeth’s parents, Wright died when he was one year old, and Thomas Marsh was brought up by the Marsh family.  In 1883 Elizabeth and her sister Louisa were mentioned in the newspapers, in trouble for concealing the birth of Louisa's child.  And that's it!!  Nothing on the census from 1871.  She died in 1929.  Is on the electoral register at 16 Haywoods Park, Deepcar, WRY from 1929 (I think she went to her family, to die) til 1934 even though she'd died - I have the death certificate. 

She was known to the family as Lizzie.  My nan (her grandaughter) said she never married.  She's definitely showing off a ring though!  I got the impression that my nan, born 1913, never met her but I could be wrong. 

If you can find anything I will be VERY impressed!  I like a challenge and I am quite good at it usually, but have failed miserably here!!! 
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline esseco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 February 19 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire,

Well, I have had fun and frustration in looking up Elizabeth and her elusive family.

I hope that the attached document gives you some new information (probably not) but you never know. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, thanks for giving me the opportunity to be a sticky nose again.

Cheers,
Di Maloney
Esse, Cooper, Mahony/Mahoney, Krause, Klemke, Schreiber, Duff,  - UK/Australia/Europe/