Author Topic: Any advice? Ardle McKenna born Bannockburn 1897  (Read 2606 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice? Ardle McKenna born Bannockburn 1897
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 10:14 GMT (UK) »
That was a great find Dod and blew my theory right out of the water. However as I posted he is not listed on CWGC or SNWM under Ardle McKenna.

I have just googled Ardle McKenna WW1 and came up with something interesting. In 2015 someone was researching him on a forum called The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project and his name comes up. Evidently his last enlistment was under the name of James Gaffeny (a variation of his mother's maiden name) He is on the CWGC and SNWM under that name.

Worth a look AuntieMomo as it gives some interesting information on him.

RIP Ardle McKenna

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh my God!! This is incredible - thank you!  I'm very impressed that you've uncovered this. Why would he change his name?  He lost his mum at about 9 years old, so perhaps I understand the Gaffney, but don't know where he'd get James from (his uncle?).  Can you just change your name like that if you're in the Army? How would his family have traced him, if he'd changed his name?

Using the name James Gaffney, he now pops up in Ancestry and I can see his entry in a Registry for Soldier's Effects, also he is buried in the Gaza Strip. Wow!  That's given me something to think about.  I attach the ledger entry, which cites his alias as McKenna and next of kin John.  Hope you can see it.  I'll check out this commemorations project and also I think there's online war diaries for some regiments.

Thanks again, Dorrie, much appreciated.
McKenna McCann Gallacher Kelly Denny Dunipace Falkirk Stirling Longriggend

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to have helped and given you extra information.

Remember back in those days nobody was asked for proof of I.D. My husband's grandfather was one who enlisted under a variation of family names. He had fought in the Boer War and when his brother was killed in 1915 he tried to enlist using his former army credentials but was considered too old. He then went to another recruiting office and using a combination of family names and a false date of birth they accepted him without question.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 12:00 GMT (UK) »
     Searched through UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War on A*try for men from Stirlingshire who died 12th Nov. 1917. Found James Gaffeny, born Bannockburn, Stirlingshire. Regt: The Royal Scots (Lothian Regt.) No:35590. Died: Egypt. Formerly: No:3279 - R. High. (Royal Highlanders, commonly known as The Black Watch). No:24146 - H.L.I. (Highland Light Infantry). No:3285 - Scottish Rifles.
     Details were so similar to Ardle's that I checked who his effects were sent to and found the same as 'dowdstree.'
     Enlisted at Perth this time. Maybe he found it difficult to enlist because of his height. Changed name and tried elsewhere.
     Ardle is listed on the Stirling War Memorial with the spelling Ardil McKenna.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I have found a death on Scotlands People which could be him.

Gaffeny, James - Age 20 - 1917 - It is in the Service Returns - Ref  125/AF 379 also another entry under this one for Gaffeny, James - 1917 - No age - Ref  138/AF 1086

Dorrie

P.S. great find Dod
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 12:32 GMT (UK) »
On the CWGC if you put into the search - GAFFNEY, J Service No 35590 First World War it will take you to the Cemetery where you see the plot no where he is buried and a map of the Cemetery and other details.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 12:41 GMT (UK) »
On the SNWM site there are 4 entries for him under the service numbers listed by Dod.

These are under GAFFENY, JAMES. Just another spelling variation.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 07 February 19 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all.  Sorry, I've had the flu then I've been away with work and only just seen these further replies.  I am very grateful for all the follow-up information.  I've just downloaded the newspaper article from 1917 with his picture in it. It's poignant to actually see him in person.  I also managed to find a picture of his sister from her US Naturalization application and think I've now traced all of his 5 siblings (they all emigrated, including the dad). 

Thanks for the info on the cemetery plot - I had tried to find it myself but not been successful. I didn't really know where to look.

I'm now writing all of this up, I think my Dad and Uncle will be very interested in it all, my cousins too.  It's been a very interesting puzzle.  Thanks so much for all your help.  Auntiemomo x
McKenna McCann Gallacher Kelly Denny Dunipace Falkirk Stirling Longriggend