Author Topic: Can anyone help restore this photo of Farrens from Derry  (Read 1709 times)

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help restore this photo of Farrens from Derry
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 February 19 23:58 GMT (UK) »
You're right Russel, patience is the keyword... and lots of it!  I started on the most difficult part (for me) the lady in the middle and it's a real challenge!
Enjoy!
Blake, Willis, Parker and Whittington

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 February 19 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Here's what I've got so far (which is not 'impressive' by any means but maybe will encourage others to have a go as well)...

(I've cropped out the borders which I'll re add in later, and the massive hole at the top to cut down the amount of work needed)

I was wondering if anyone wanted to 'partner up' and share the work? So one person work on colour and then the other do the scratches or half and half  ??? Just a suggestion since it's quite a bit of work to do by oneself.

I didn't actually intend to colourise the picture but I've found it acts as a good guideline for when your clone stamping those scratches away like a crazy person...

EDIT: Uploaded new progress shot with higher colour saturation.

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 February 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments and for all the great work.

So sorry I didn't get back to you sooner yes this is three sisters from what I recall.

Russell you have made a great job so far as  I can see them now.

Thank you so much for all your hard word it is so much appreciated

Kieran

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 February 19 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Looking good Russell!  Your idea is good. I have no problem with that, but I'm not quite to the point I want to share, not good enough yet.  I haven't started any color yet, but have spent half of today trying to get the left ladies' dress to look good.  I am trying to substitute a dress pattern very close for the original.  I also plan to put a new background in from another dated background, (wall paper?) to keep the main focus will be on the ladies.  The middle ladies' face was TOUGH to do.

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 February 19 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Looking good Russell!  Your idea is good. I have no problem with that, but I'm not quite to the point I want to share, not good enough yet.  I haven't started any color yet, but have spent half of today trying to get the left ladies' dress to look good.  I am trying to substitute a dress pattern very close for the original.  I also plan to put a new background in from another dated background, (wall paper?) to keep the main focus will be on the ladies.  The middle ladies' face was TOUGH to do.

Thank you!

I think the wallpaper once upon a time was a sort of floral/damask print  ???

I did something similar a while ago with a picture in which the sky was badly faded/cloudy, I never ended up finishing this restore since everyone else had already beat me to it!

So I can help out with finding a substitute wallpaper if you like...

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 February 19 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Sure Russell.  If you find a good one I'd be happy to try them.  Can you post links on RC? If so, do that and I'll download or screen grab as long as not copyright issues.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 February 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
My try. And, sorry, but it ain't that pretty. :-\
Anyway, I now know what it must feel like to paint a house with a toothbrush. ;D
I changed the proportions a little to reduce that distracting background and focus more on the sisters.
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 February 19 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Another progress comparison... it's finally starting to take form now! It still looks a little 'rough' in some places - but due to the poor texture of the photo I don't think that can feasibly be fixed; I could use the blur tool but then I'd sacrifice the overall clarity.

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 February 19 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Looking good Russell!