Author Topic: Embezzlement and transportation - right person?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Embezzlement and transportation - right person?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 February 19 09:11 GMT (UK) »
That all seems to fit in quite nicely time wise. It would still be worth looking for additional records on FindMyPast, unless someone is able to find more about William for you. A convict I was researching requested that his wife be brought to Australia. That request was refused and he eventually went on to marry someone else.

I think you might still be able to get a month subscription to FindMyPast? Or a free two week trial? (Remember to cancel before the two weeks is up or they will charge you for a full annual sub). A lot of libraries also have FindMyPast, so worth some investiagtion.

Offline valeriet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 February 19 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at this again I think  the scenario is this. The initial sentence was reduced to seven years. He was then on a prison hulk (ship) called the Retribution.He  is recorded  on a list made by the captain of the hulk, having served 5 years 2 years, as one of sixteen men selected,as a result of good conduct,  "as fit objects for Royal Mercy". He was pardoned 7 Feb 1825.

William

Thanks William, I found records on ancestry. On 'Retribution' the gaolers report says (looks like) "A remarkable well-behaved man. Nurse in the hospital".

Offline valeriet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 February 19 10:33 GMT (UK) »
That all seems to fit in quite nicely time wise. It would still be worth looking for additional records on FindMyPast, unless someone is able to find more about William for you. A convict I was researching requested that his wife be brought to Australia. That request was refused and he eventually went on to marry someone else.

I think you might still be able to get a month subscription to FindMyPast? Or a free two week trial? (Remember to cancel before the two weeks is up or they will charge you for a full annual sub). A lot of libraries also have FindMyPast, so worth some investiagtion.

I'll investigate further - thank you :)