Author Topic: Denys G Sims c1921  (Read 3362 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Denys G Sims c1921
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 February 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
It's all a bit mysterious.

According to a report of Denys' death in the Diss Express of 28 March 1941, Denys' father was the late Commander George Sims, who served with the US Navy in European waters during the 1914-18 war and died from the effects of wounds sustained in combat a few years later.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 February 19 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Harold was hauled up for various driving offences in November 1941 - his mother gave evidence on his behalf as "Emma Guy Sims, of Mellis" according to the Diss Express of 14 November 1941.

I am beginning to wonder whether Doris/Emma/Evelyn had a flexible relationship with the truth!
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 February 19 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like a distinct possibility.  It’s amazing what you uncover once you start looking ;D

Thank you so much for your help
K

Offline Only me!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 March 21 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you for finding so many interesting details about the Sims family and the weird way they swap and change names!
Evelyn was an amazing woman of strength and character, resilient and loyal. her German Shepherds were fine, I remember cuddling them.
The day Harold came home was the day the press reported his M.M. describing his Gallantry under heavy Machine gunfire. He and one other ran across the battlefield to rescue an injured officer.
He had returned home to attend his brother's funeral. Evelyn had a lot to cope with that week.

Harold was only at the beginning of his journey aged 21 in 1941. after driving a tank and then dashing around the battlefields at Dunkirk, I imagine he would probably drive like a lune during his leave.
I imagine His mother vouched for him regarding his brother and his recent experiences.
Harold served throughout the war involved in many campaigns in many countries around the world. He reached the rank of Captain. He was recalled to service in 1950.
Harold did not adapt well to civilian life,  He was funny, warm, short-tempered, intelligent, unreasonable, friendly & charming.  In fact, he never really left the service.
He died a sudden death in Atbara, Sudan in 1977. Death certificate states that he was a teacher at the high school.... Believe that if you will.   (By the way, he was fluent in Arabic and was able to go native. So much so that the name on his  death certificate was corrected, from Hamid Shah to Harold Sims

Offline Only me!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 March 21 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I posted a couple of photos for you but had a spot of bother getting the hang of it. you will need to search sims family. pics are Evelyn Harold and Mary
m x

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 March 21 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Link to the photos of Evelyn and Mary (for information)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=845898

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 March 21 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Dear Only Me! 

Thank you so much for the pics & the info.   I finally found Denys Sims grave at St Mary’s, Mellis.  A very discreet flat stone in the NE corner of the churchyard.  Never did I think I would uncover such an intriguing story in researching the Roll of Honour displayed in the Mellis Memorial Hall.  Evelyn must have had a very challenging life.

K