Author Topic: Uncertified death  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Uncertified death
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 February 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I do use Scotlandspeople but I resent how expensive their charging structure is.

The cost of viewing one certificate at Scotland's People is currently £1.50, which is rather less than a cup of coffee or a pint of beer. And you get your certificate instantly.

The corresponding charge in England and Wales is £6, and it is about to go up to £7 (not quite five Scottish certificates)
Queensland charges AUS$22, equivalent to £12.19 (8 Scottish certificates)
New Zealand charges NZ$25, equivalent to £13.16 (nearly 9 SCottish certificates)
Victoria has just reduced its charge to AUS$24.50, equivalent to £13.57 (9 Scottish certificates)
New South Wales charges AUS$34, equivalent to £18.84, plus a credit card surcharge (12 Scottish certificates).

Certainly you can rack up a lot of money if you get carried away, but the charging structure is one of the cheapest for getting online access to historical certificates bar a very few states and countries who make them available free.

And the Scottish pre-1855 church records and censuses to 1901 can be viewed free of charge in many libraries and family history centres, including, by arrangement, in LDS Church FHCs anywhere in the world.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 February 19 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
The names are the same but they are different parents - father’s occupation is wrong and marriage date is 15 June 1852.
Thanks anyway
Betty
Macey Bates McInnes McClymont

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 February 19 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear Forfarian

As there are no transcripts and not all the indexed fields are displayed in the search results, one often needs to look at the original documents on Scotlandspeople in order to eliminate incorrect hits. It’s not a case of simply getting carried away as you suggest.

I have annual subscriptions to Ancestry and FindMyPast ando much prefer the unlimited access those offer as well as the fuller data provided in search results.  On the few occasions when I have applied for a certificate that is my choice.

Betty Macey
Macey Bates McInnes McClymont

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 February 19 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.