Author Topic: My McAughtrie Family - Lucky find!  (Read 2182 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
My McAughtrie Family - Lucky find!
« on: Friday 01 February 19 21:31 GMT (UK) »
How's this for a find!

MACAUGHTRIE: A Galloway surname. 'Rollant MacUchtraigh ri gallgaidhel in pace, quiaevit' (AU., 1199), 'Roland MacUchtraigh leader of the Gall-Caidil died in peace.' John Macuchtrie witnessed a charter of office of coronator of Lennox, 1400 (Levenax, p. 95). Janet M'Cuchtrie at Milburn, 1685 and William M'Ouchtrie in Flularg, 1687 (Kirkcudbright). The name appears in Anglicized form in 1522, in which year Fergus Uthresoun purchased the lands of Strongassail in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright (RMS., III, 1094). See Coughtrey. The duke of Argyll says that "a race called MacUchtre, who are designated as of 'Garvie,' long held these lands which are in Glendaruel of the earls of Argyll in the Middle Ages" (Celt. Rev., IX. p. 347). He adds that they "gradually Anglicised their name to Ochiltree (Argyll Charters, passim)".
— The Surnames of Scotland (1946) by George Fraser Black (1866-1948)
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections