Author Topic: Need another set of eyes to date and identify person in photos - Moore/Sandford  (Read 5969 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Need another set of eyes to date and identify person in photos - Moore/Sandford
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 05:09 GMT (UK) »
None of the census records for the family mention disability.

The only two siblings that young boy could be would be Patrick Moore B. 185, in Scotland (and believe his life fell between the 1851 and 1861). The other was Richard George Moore B. 1856 Kelso, Scotland. He lived a full life and was employed by the Ordnance Survey.So I'd assume he had no disability. I think this must be Patrick. If only I could find a death record for him.
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need another set of eyes to date and identify person in photos - Moore/Sandford
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the young boy might have been sent to live wth another family member when his siblings married and maybe he using other surname.   I think the fact that he maybe wearing slippers in photos and clothes look big might indicate that he couldn't walk.  Have you looked at later census records for each of the siblings to see if he could be in them as sometimes people appear or you find a record and then everything just clicks
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Maybe try confirming the Fenton moore as well as if you go onto free census the Fenton moore from ordinance survey seems to be have born in Ireland. There a few Fenton moores and Fenton I think is a varation of fintan which is of Irish extraction.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 12:38 GMT (UK) »
None of the census records for the family mention disability.

The only two siblings that young boy could be would be Patrick Moore B. 185, in Scotland (and believe his life fell between the 1851 and 1861). The other was Richard George Moore B. 1856 Kelso, Scotland. He lived a full life and was employed by the Ordnance Survey.So I'd assume he had no disability. I think this must be Patrick. If only I could find a death record for him.

You may want to consider the possibility that these may not be Family, they could be friends as swapping photos was was quite common in Victorian times.

Here is a poem from a Victorian photo album:

I wish my album to contain
The old familiar faces
Of all my true and valued friends,
They'll here find welcome places.

And hope you'll not intrusive deem
The request that I now make,
A portrait true of each dear friend
I ask for friendship's sake.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I think you're all right. I need to back away and look at these from a completely different perspective and stop fixating on what I think they are.

I have not found anything referring to a family member with a disability. There's only one unaccounted for male in the family (assuming it IS this family) and he is Patrick Moore, born in Edinburgh in 1853. He would definitely fit the timeline for this picture. However, I find no death record for him and he doesn't show up on any future census records.

If the group photo is after 1861, he isn't listed on the family census or the one after so he might have been somewhere else but can't find him on any census record for 1861.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, 1853. This was before statutory registration in Scotland (introduced 1855) so, if he died before then, he would only be recorded in burials and those are far from complete  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I think he looks to be about 10 years old.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 07 February 19 01:18 GMT (UK) »
I know I have already taken too much of your time and I really appreciate all the wonderful, educational messages on these topics.

I thought, perhaps to bring this full circle, I'd post a picture of the couple; one I know to be my GGGgrandparents together. I think, at least Fenton Moore the GGGgradfather, looks very much like the man standing in the first photo. If it is, at least all I have to do is figure out the remainder of the puzzle relating to that photo. If not, as you mentioned, I might have to face the fact it isn't them at all.  :-\

Thanks again!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 07 February 19 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes he does look like the standing man in the first photo but she does not look like the woman in that photo. I get the feeling that it is the, or a selection of the, Moore siblings in the first photo. Clever people might be able to put them both together.