Author Topic: Gedmatch "low overlap" query  (Read 2760 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Gedmatch "low overlap" query
« on: Monday 04 February 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I hope I've not missed a post about this previously, but if I have apologies.

Just wondering about the significance of the low overlap segments mentioned in Gedmatch - "'Overlap' is the number of positions that exist in common between both kits, without regard to
 whether they match or not. The amount of overlap, along with the largest cM amount,
is usually a good indication of the relative quality of the match.
 Matches with low overlap have that field highlighted with a pink or red background, depending on the overlap value."

I have a match on Gedmatch at 18.9cM, largest being 10.8cM, Gen 4.9, Overlap 55122.  However, when I view the match, we match on chromosomes 19 (8.1cM) and 22 (9.3cM) and it says estimated generations to MRCA is 5.5.  Not a lot different I accept but just wondered the significance of the low overlap. 

This match has caught my attention because the person is from Germany and his gedcom shows only German ancestors back quite a few generations.  I have a "Germanic" ancestor who died in 1837 but we have no idea where he came from, hence using the term Germanic rather than German.  He could have course been from what is now Austria or Switzerland.  He never became naturalised but, like many Germanic immigrants, worked for a time as a sugar baker and signed his marriage certificate Johan, which was the big giveaway along with the job and surname.  I'm just wondering if this match could be a clue.

Thanks

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch "low overlap' query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hhm, just found that the German match on Gedmatch has a second upload from LivingDNA from December and I don't match him at all on that one.  Not sure why they would be so different?
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch "low overlap" query
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Having finally got the correct google search terms, I've found this on Gedmatch and low overlap - http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/blog/?p=2717.  Posting in case it helps anyone else with the query.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch "low overlap" query
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Nicola, Thanks for that. I was wondering about it myself, I didn't respond to your thread as I had no answer to it.

Now I have a better idea of what it means.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go