Author Topic: Churchyard or Civil Cemetery - Blaydon  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Pwtgb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Churchyard or Civil Cemetery - Blaydon
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 September 23 07:59 BST (UK) »
Patricia, can you tell the name of the person you are interested in in Blaydon Cemetery or any other information and I’ll see if I can help.
Paul

Offline Pwtgb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 September 23 08:05 BST (UK) »
Patricia, only man I can identify as being killed at Bessie pit during 1921 is John Barrett, 41 years of age. Is this him? I’ll base my research on him until I hear from you.
Paul

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 September 23 08:16 BST (UK) »
I can save you a bit of time Pwtgb

That's the man who died 1st Nov 1921 (that was the only one I could identify too)
Burial register
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS6T-N9LN-Q?i=65&cat=825173
Grave Register
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS6T-N9VX-J?i=782&cat=825173

EDIT: though both of those say he was 40, not 41?

Boo

Offline Pwtgb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 September 23 08:36 BST (UK) »

https://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/b042.htm

Barrett, John, 01 Nov 1921, aged 41, Hewer, crushed by tubs, address: 39 Polmaise Street, Blaydon, left a wife and three children.

I can’t make any promises but if I get the chance I’ll take a look at plot R 118 and report back.

Paul

Offline Patriciafairy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 September 23 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you   for your help. I have been down these roads of information at the start he never was on the Balaton grave search as I found out from Durham grave records he was buried .in.unconsecrated ground very strange as was a
roman  Catholic never the less seen the go ogle earth and been in touch with council  their Email.never went  but thank you so much for all the links we are hoping to.come to the cemetery  but it's a long way even by train.from.bedfordshire his name was John Barrett he died 1st Nov 1921 and his funeral was the 5th Nov 1921 he had an accident at Bessie coal.mine .he was 40.well again thanks anyway we do this it's going to.be difficult  on the train with your gardening equipment  all the best kind regards

Offline Patriciafairy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 September 23 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Paul very kind of you if you can that's brilliant do understand if you can't. Just thanks for replying regards Patricia

Offline Patriciafairy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 September 23 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Paul everyone for your help he is john barrett killed in bessie pit 1st nov1921 my partner is his nephew and we like to pay our respects  to him can you tell me why was he placed in unconsegrated ground that was a shock to people back home in  Ireland the morning he died he was at mass dosent make sense I.know they blessed the coffin at the funeral.but it's a mystery to.us why a Catholic priest performed the funeral  right in that part of the cemetrey unless they couldn't afford a gravr in the Catholic section  thanks again to you all I wonder what is left in section  r grave 118 thanks

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 September 23 20:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you   for your help. I have been down these roads of information at the start he never was on the Balaton grave search as I found out from Durham grave records he was buried .in.unconsecrated ground very strange as was a
roman  Catholic never the less seen the go ogle earth and been in touch with council  their Email.never went  but thank you so much for all the links we are hoping to.come to the cemetery  but it's a long way even by train.from.bedfordshire his name was John Barrett he died 1st Nov 1921 and his funeral was the 5th Nov 1921 he had an accident at Bessie coal.mine .he was 40.well again thanks anyway we do this it's going to.be difficult  on the train with your gardening equipment  all the best kind regards

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 September 23 20:55 BST (UK) »
It may help you to know that  the terminology for civil cemeteries (such as Blaydon) was, on the whole separated into Consecrated and Unconsecrated Sections.
That just means that one Section of the cemetery The Consecrated Section was (as a sort of job lot) consecrated according to to the Anglican / Church of England rites as that  was the established Church in England.

Other sections were described as 'Unconsecrated' - which meant that they weren't included in the  area consecration according the to C of E rites -  and a ceremony was performed at each grave, according to the religion of the person who was being interred or not at all if they didn't have a preferred religion

In the case of Catholics there may well have been a full Requiem Mass at a church for the deceased , followed by a ceremony to consecrate the actual burial plot according to the rites of the Catholic Church at the time of burial. So , still consecrated, but to the deceased's chosen religion.

For other religions (Methodist etc) a ceremony at the grave plot would consecrate the ground according to 'their' particular  rituals.

Does that help to explain?

If your email to the cemeteries dept hasn't 'gone' then check the email address you used it soften easy to mistype an email address.
In my experience the Cemeteries Dept are helpful, look at that website again and see if there is a telephone number that you maybe could try.

Tell them the name, date of burial, Grave no and burial date and ask if it will be possible for you to arrange to have a a gravestone erected.
If I were you I wouldn't even think of travelling until you have spoken to them and found out what is possible.

if I haven't explained properly please come back and everyone will do their best to help

Boo