Author Topic: Churchyard or Civil Cemetery - Blaydon  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Pwtgb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Churchyard or Civil Cemetery - Blaydon
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 20:11 BST (UK) »
The earlier burials in Blaydon Cemetery were recorded using the register that had already been printed for St. Cuthbert’s Graveyard when the graveyard closed and the Cemetery opened in 1837. The later burials are recorded in registers printed specially for the Cemetery and are shown as register of burials in Blaydon Cemetery.
As an aside, it is a very strange feeling to look at documents that were completed by a man I worked with some 40+ years ago in Blaydon Cemetery during my apprenticeship.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 May 19 10:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Pwtgb.

and thank you for the information, that's very interesting and gives a definitive answer to my question :-) Whoever this man was who you worked with has my thanks as the registers are lovely and clear to read and that's often not the case with old records.

The only part that I am now confused about is the opening date of the Civil Cemetery, which you said was 1837 and the entries I can see on Family Search start at number 1 and the starting date was 1873 ? I wonder if there is an earlier book somewhere.

Boo

Offline Pwtgb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 May 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry my error. It was 1873. I’ve always said “I can spell, I just can’t type”!!

I have created a spreadsheet of the records to help me find the various names easier, although I have just finished it so have yet to test how effective it is.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 May 19 12:21 BST (UK) »
:-) just like me then (though sometimes my spelling fails too).

Thanks for the clarification .

Boo

Offline Pwtgb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 May 19 12:52 BST (UK) »
Tickettyboo, I have tried to reply to your pm but I’ve either sent you six messages or I can’t get it to work.
I may well make the spreadsheet available but I need to test it and tidy it up first, then I’ll consider making it available to one and all.
Regards Pwtgb

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 May 19 13:33 BST (UK) »
Tickettyboo, I have tried to reply to your pm but I’ve either sent you six messages or I can’t get it to work.
I may well make the spreadsheet available but I need to test it and tidy it up first, then I’ll consider making it available to one and all.
Regards Pwtgb

I did get one message from you which was just a quote of my message with nothing added by you.

Its a quirk I think of the PM system. I have sent (and received) more blank messages than is seemly!

You got an email, with a link to view and reply. When you click that link, it auto opens a reply with the original message quoted. That's where we 'all' go wrong and often end up sending a 'non reply' without intending to :-) Its not just you, believe me.

When you click the link in the mail, instead of looking at the body of the message in the window that opens, if you click the 'My Messages' link on the dark bar above, then you can open and read the message - and then either reply from there/ immediately/at your leisure/ or ignore it.

Boo

Offline Pwtgb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 May 19 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Noted for future reference.
Pwtgb

Offline Patriciafairy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 September 23 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi shazzi have been looking at your post wondered if you could help me  I.have found my partners relation from 1921.in blaydon cemetery the problem is we live in Bedfordshire and want to.place a stone on the gravr we have no way of knowing what it's like I know you offered yhe other member yo take s look at the cemetrry  I wondered if you could do the same for me so we can get to blaydon  the gentleman was killed in bessie pit in 1921 best regards sorry for bothering you Patricia

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 September 23 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi shazzi have been looking at your post wondered if you could help me  I.have found my partners relation from 1921.in blaydon cemetery the problem is we live in Bedfordshire and want to.place a stone on the gravr we have no way of knowing what it's like I know you offered yhe other member yo take s look at the cemetrry  I wondered if you could do the same for me so we can get to blaydon  the gentleman was killed in bessie pit in 1921 best regards sorry for bothering you Patricia

Hello Patricia and welcome to Rootschat :-)

I can't help with a visit to the cemetery but  there is a cemetery section layout image at the bottom of this page on Find a Grave
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2507939/blaydon-cemetery

and this is a link to the satellite view of the cemetery on Google Maps if it helps
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9608845,-1.7083533,385m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Do you have his burial record and grave register entry showing the other burials in the same grave? If not I can give you the links to that IF I am correct in thinking this man died on 1st Nov 1921 as you didn't mention his name

Gateshead Cemeteries Dept will be able to tell if its possible to have a stone erected on the grave - that may depend on various things.
 There's an email address on this page:
https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/6483/Blaydon-Cemetery

Boo