Author Topic: Alexander Murray - 1799 - Aberdeenshire Militia  (Read 2847 times)

Offline ShaunWADonaldson93

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Murray - 1799 - Aberdeenshire Militia
« on: Saturday 09 February 19 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my four times great grand father Alexander Murray. He would have been from and Banff / Gamrie area but he gets married in Dundee on the 9th July 1799 to Janet "Jessie" Campbell. The marries record states 'Alex Murray of the aberdeenshire militia and Janet Campbell in this parish.....' but I have been unable to find any records of this service. On Janet Campbells death certificate he is said to be a crofter, I have no death certificate for him so I would assume he died before 1850 and the parish of Gamrie didn't have a good record for recording deaths until it was compulsory from my research.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Murray - 1799 - Aberdeenshire Militia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 19 12:20 GMT (UK) »
The Gamrie burial register is kept quite well for the 1830s - 1854. There is no gravestone to Alexander in St John's kirkyard.

I found quite a lot of useful information about an ancestor who was in the Aberdeenshire Militia in the Aberdeen City Archives. They have an on-line catalogue and quite a few of the militia documents have been transcribed and can be read on line.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 19 15:11 GMT (UK) »
The Gamrie burial register is kept quite well for the 1830s - 1854. There is no gravestone to Alexander in St John's kirkyard.

I found quite a lot of useful information about an ancestor who was in the Aberdeenshire Militia in the Aberdeen City Archives. They have an on-line catalogue and quite a few of the militia documents have been transcribed and can be read on line.

I wasn't able to find him in the records that have been transcribed but I see they have a Muster role 1798-1801 so I have contacted them because that should list my ancestor in theory.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 19 15:19 GMT (UK) »
There is also a book about territorial soldering in the north east by someone called Bulloch. It is available to read on line. It also deals with the earlier militia and allowed me to piece together the movements of my ancestor about Britain. I can't remember its exact title at the moment, but worth having a look for it.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 19 15:26 GMT (UK) »
It's

"Territorial Soldiering in the North East of Scotland during 1759-1814" by Malcolm Bulloch.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 February 19 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Where & when did Janet die? Was she a widow at that time?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 October 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
Where & when did Janet die? Was she a widow at that time?
flst

Janet died at the 'Hill of Troup' Gamrie in 1861 but I have never found a death date for Alexander Murray so I don't know when she was widowed but the death records for Gamrie are very incomplete but it was before 1841 because Janet is on the census but no Alexander.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 October 19 22:53 BST (UK) »
It's

"Territorial Soldiering in the North East of Scotland during 1759-1814" by Malcolm Bulloch.

Excellent I will need to give it a read, thanks for suggesting it!