Author Topic: A one way ticket on the Necropolis Railway to Brookwood Cemetary  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A ONE WAY TICKET ON THE NECROPOLIS RAILWAY TO BROOKWOOD CEMETARY
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 February 19 19:03 GMT (UK) »
The BBC link posted by Edward on page 1 covers how the  coffins were brought in and loaded onto the train:

" Another perk of the location was Waterloo’s railway arches, which acted as “ideal temporary storage space of corpses”, Nash writes. Along with two entrance halls (one for the upper class, one for the middle and lower), waiting rooms and platforms, the station also had mortuaries.

The process was straightforward. Most families had their loved one picked up by a horse-drawn hearse. The funeral procession would end at the station; there, the coffins would be lifted into elevators that would carry them up to the platform level and onto the train. "

Andy_T
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 February 19 15:57 GMT (UK) »
At the beginning of my railway career I worked in the Parcels Office at Boston passenger station. From time to time we despatched and received bodies.
I can remember the following: The junior staff(me) were not allowed to have any dealing, because of the sensitivity of the consignment it was the responsibility of the Chief clerk to arrange the booking.
I was allowed to order the extra parcels van for the conveyance of the body. If more than one body, a van for each! The name and destination were clearly labelled on the van which was locked or sealed!
The vans were then attached to the rear of a passenger train, and any shunting connections required were shown on the label, given to the crew,and notified on by phone to the next point.
My father who was a driver said there was a going rate of 10/- tip to each crew member.
The only thing we ever received from Scotland in sacking was fresh salmon. Luckily never a body, it would have needed to be embalmed to be approachable by the time it arrived in Boston.
Staff members killed on duty were transported by rail free of charge.
There is (was) ? a concession to staff where bodies of staff members and families were transported at 1/4 of the public rate.
The last shipment I heard of was that of the late RMT secretary Jimmy Knapp whose body was shipped from Ashford (Kent) to Glasgow by Virgin trains. There is a story (apocryphal)? That he was late for his funeral.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 February 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
In reply to RedRoger: It's good to hear your experiences at Boston and the arrangements made to move deceased by train. Jimmy Knapp was General Secretary of the Railman's Union and he died as recently as 2001. I guess he was entitled to his last journey FOC (did this perk apply to Virgin Trains)?

I totally forgot when I posted about the Necropolis Railway that about 15 years ago I bought a cemetery plot at Golden Valley Woodland Burial Ground at Ripley, Derbyshire. There is an option to have a last ride into the burial ground on steam train from Butterly and mourners can have a wake on the return journey inside the buffet carriage.

Andy_T     

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:02 GMT (UK) »
In reply to Edward Scott: Great link about the contaminated water from Aldgate Pump, likely leading to more customers on the Necropolis Railway.

All I can say is Yuuk!
But I have subscribed to the Look Up London Newsletter  :)

Andy_T

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:23 GMT (UK) »
In reply to RedRoger: It's good to hear your experiences at Boston and the arrangements made to move deceased by train. Jimmy Knapp was General Secretary of the Railman's Union and he died as recently as 2001. I guess he was entitled to his last journey FOC (did this perk apply to Virgin Trains)   
The "perk" as you put it applied to all qualifing staff ( think it was 5 years service) who the companies inherited from BR.The companies make their own perks.
As the former Chairman of a Parish Council in the North I am entitled to be buried in the churchyard free of charge..
I am unlikely to take advantage or to be carried up there by rail.
No ceremony for me just get rid of what's left quickly and as cheaply as possible.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 08:58 GMT (UK) »

As the former Chairman of a Parish Council in the North I am entitled to be buried in the churchyard free of charge..

What a 'perk' to be offered   :'(

There is probably a clause, always is with Councils (Paragraph 84 a. Section 2, part A, Clause iii, Second part, Last sentence line 53) ... the entitlement holder must meet the grave digger's costs and expenses, which shall be equal to the full cost of a new grave purchase at their time of death.

I hope we'll be around a long time first, with some of our brain marbles reasonably intact!

Regarding train journeys, I like to look out the window  ;D

Mark

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Regarding train journeys, I like to look out the window.

Maybe even that might be arranged ....  ;D
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Regarding train journeys, I like to look out the window.

Maybe even that might be arranged ....  ;D

Not on your railway Andrew!

Thinking of a Return Ticket to a holiday location/archive and back home to look at my pics/copy docs! Mark

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 11:44 GMT (UK) »

What a 'perk' to be offered   :'(

There is probably a clause, always is with Councils (Paragraph 84 a. Section 2, part A, Clause iii, Second part, Last sentence line 53) ... the entitlement holder must meet the grave digger's costs and expenses, which shall be equal to the full cost of a new grave purchase at their time of death.

I hope we'll be around a long time first, with some of our brain marbles reasonably intact!

Regarding train journeys, I like to look out the window  ;D

Mark
The perk such as it is comes from the Parish Church, and it's origins are lost in the mists of time ( the registers start in the 1550s I believe)  Since the 1940s there have been at least 50 chair persons some of whom have served one year only, others like me 3 or 4 terms some consecutive around 5 years in total, one or two up to 15 years when noone wanted the job.