Author Topic: Elizabeth Livingstone, Glasgow, born c1888  (Read 2742 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Livingstone, Glasgow, born c1888
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:58 GMT (UK) »
For those who have not come across it, this is one of the best (if not the best, in my opinion  ::)) first name variants reference www.whatsinaname.net/

Some first name variants are obvious, some less so.

The variant Janet/Jessie for example www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Jessie.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
For those who have not come across it, this is one of the best (if not the best, in my opinion  ::)) first name variants reference www.whatsinaname.net/
Absolutely the best.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 February 19 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Snatching 2 minutes here, I've been, and will be, out of touch until Monday or Tuesday...
I'll be back...
Iain
Bell, McRae, Granlie, Petersen (in Denmark). Seems I'm now hunting McVicars, McIntyres, Murdochs...and there's a Livingstone in there somewhere!

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, I'm back!
Firstly, many thanks for all your help, it was invaluable! As always... :D whatsinaname is excellent!
Elizabeth Falconer Livingstone, b.1888 is now nailed down, turns out to be a cousin of my Grandfather, not a niece, but close enough!
She emigrated to the US on board the Columbia from Glasgow, arriving at Ellis Island Oct. 21st, 1909. She married a William Donaldson McCue in Los Angeles on Oct. 20th, 1921. No immigration record for him, as yet.
Sadly, said William was shot to death* on Oct. 19th, 1922. The day before their first wedding anniversary  :(
I'll keep hunting around for more information on them both, possible Eliz. Livingston as a domestic servant, 43, in Boston in the 1930 US census...
At the moment, though, it looks as if that line stops at Elizabeth and William. Plenty of his family to be going on with.

*Seems William was murdered by one Aurelio Pompa, (21 at the time) after an argument over Pompa using McCue's tools without permission, on the new LA Post Office building, Pompa being Williams labourer. Mentioned in a book called !Pobre Rasa!, page 150 and 109. He received the death sentence,and was executed.  (7th Mar. 1924)
The book was written from a Mexican standpoint, and apparently Pompa was "elevated to legendary status for standing up to him". Also mentioned in the book Testimonio: A Documentary History of the Mexican American Struggle for Civil Rights.
Sad little story... :(
Bell, McRae, Granlie, Petersen (in Denmark). Seems I'm now hunting McVicars, McIntyres, Murdochs...and there's a Livingstone in there somewhere!

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Seems Pompa came from Caborca Son, Mexico, entered US at Nogales Aug. 19th 1919.
Neither of them had a very long life in California...

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 22:05 GMT (UK) »
There is always a walk through such a varied social history isn't there. You have done well with all of that!

Have you got William's family? From 1901:

David Mccue 35 mason b. England
Priscilla Mccue 32  b. England
John Mccue 15  b. England
David Mccue 14 b. Govan, Renfrewshire
Priscilla Mccue 12 b. Govan, Renfrewshire
William Mccue 9 b. Houston, Renfrewshire
Edward Mccue 7 b. Houston, Renfrewshire
Maggie Mccue 5 b. Houston, Renfrewshire
Robina Mccue 3 b. Houston, Renfrewshire
Ernest Mccue 7 months b. abbey, Renfrewshire

Address : Benview Johnstone and Elderslie, Renfrewshire

William shows in Canada in time for WW1. There are attestation papers for him to the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force. He enlisted on 23 Sept 1914. Birth date 31 July 1891. Father David next of kin. Demobbed in Sept 1919.

Have a look on Ancestry as there are lots of family trees for the family of David and Pricilla and their children.

He was in Sunderland England at the time of the 1911 census, then enlisting in Canada in Sept 1914. Gives you a window for his travel to Canada or US.

Monica

Added: William's birth details and how you will find them on SP:

William Donaldson Mccue
14 Jul 1891
Govan, Lanark, Scotland
Father: David Mccue
Mother: Priscilla Sarah Anderson Mccue

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Seems Pompa came from Caborca Son, Mexico

Son is short for Sonora.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
William travelled over to Canada and arrived in Quebec on 2 May 1912. He travelled with his father David, leaving Liverpool on the 'Lake Manitoba'.

His father died in Sunderland so will have returned to England at some point.

Monica

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Monica, I've said it before...you're GOOD at this stuff!
I have the list of family you've posted, not really looked hard at them yet. Smart match...
The travel and immigration bit was my next target, you got there first!
I'll look into the enlistment...
To have survived the whole stupidity of WW1 just to murdered by a coward...such a waste  :(
I'm making (slow) progress with the Bell side, adding little details here and there. Some info., it seems, just isn't there...probably not been 'digitized' yet.
Doesn't look like anyone is doing active research on exactly my bit, but plenty of others in the surrounding families, so I'll see what pops up in the future.
Anyway, many thanks for all the help, all of you, you know who you are!
I'll likely be back... ;D
Iain