Author Topic: Police Court  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Sutherland74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Police Court
« on: Monday 11 February 19 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi apologies if this has been asked before. I have just discovered that an ancestor of mine was sentenced to 60 days imprisonment in Paisley Prison for the theft of a shawl in 1858; her weeks old child died in the prison 10 days into her sentence. The newspaper report says she was charged in the Police Court and also that she had two previous convictions. Was the Police Court the same thing as the Sheriff Court? Where would I be able to find the Police and/or the Court records?

Thank you for your help.
Quinn, McDermott, McGuigan, Toal, Wright, Kerr, O'Hara, Smith, McCrea, McKAy, Cunningham, MacFarlane, Mairs, Cassidy, Copeland, Lamond, Brannan, McHendrie, Clark, Strachan, Dollan, McCOig, McCardle, Welsh

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Police Court
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Paisley was famous for the manufacture of shawls. This is not the Sheriff Court, try the Burgh records! I think the Glasgow City Archives has the former Strathclyde Police Force records which includes Renfrewshire (Paisley).

Skoosh.

Offline Sutherland74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Skoosh
Quinn, McDermott, McGuigan, Toal, Wright, Kerr, O'Hara, Smith, McCrea, McKAy, Cunningham, MacFarlane, Mairs, Cassidy, Copeland, Lamond, Brannan, McHendrie, Clark, Strachan, Dollan, McCOig, McCardle, Welsh

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:56 GMT (UK) »
The Mitchell Library I think Sutherland.

Skoosh.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:12 GMT (UK) »
The "Police Court" was the local  magistrates Court (or JP Court) later to become the District Court and then back to the Magistrates Court.
The records will depend largely on where she was sentenced if  it was in Paisley (and if they have survived) they will possibly be with Renfrewshire Archives and not the Mitchell (The court records do not form part of the Police Records held at the Mitchell).

Just checked and the records that exist are held by the National Records Office https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/justices-of-the-peace-records

Offline Sutherland74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi all spoken to both Paisley Heritage Centre and The Mitchell and both said they don't have the records. Planning to follow up on the JP records at NRS.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Sutherland74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Just spoken to NRS. Despite what their website says the Renfrewhire JP records (JP7) these records are held at The Mitchell Library. Need to follow this up now.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck Sutherland, good pub the Bon Accord next door & Shenaz Indian restaurant across the road!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck Sutherland, good pub the Bon Accord next door & Shenaz Indian restaurant across the road!  ;D

Skoosh.
I also recommend a visit to the Bon Accord! Though we went to the Koh-I-Noor a bit further up for our meal. It was nae bad.