Author Topic: Finding Dad's Family in Hull - Thackrays:  (Read 530 times)

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding Dad's Family in Hull - Thackrays:
« on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am trying hard (have been for years now) to discover what happened to Dad's family in Hull and why he was put in Linneaus Street Children's Home along with his brother when his Mum died at 32 in 1923. I live in Harrogate, but with my eldest daughter, I have now driven to Hull many times and tried to visualise what their life was like and from what we've learned so far, pretty tough. I am listing here some names of Dad's family that I've found and some of the places in Hull the records show they lived. If anyone, has knowledge of what these places were like or better still, knows of the Thackray family, we'd be very grateful to hear from you. Dad, was killed just after my fourteenth birthday and he never spoke about his family or childhood, so we are, bit by bit, trying to piece it together.
Thackray family: Mary Jane B.1891-1923 John B.1950-1923, Mary (formerly Beaty) 1854-1927, John Robert 1875-1934, Caroline 1884-1959 (married Walter Upfield), James 1887-unconfirmed, William 1880-unconfirmed, Elizabeth 1893-unconfirmed.
Addresses: Portas Entry, Carr Lane, 51 New King's St., 10 King's Sq. Sykes St., 4 Ann's Place, Francis S.
Many thanks for reading, linney2019

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Dad's Family in Hull - Thackrays:
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Lots of relevant background on this thread:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=807951.msg6672000#msg6672000

It's best to include links like this so that Rootschatters understand the context for your inquiry and don't spend time reinventing the wheel on work already done and information you already have :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am trying hard (have been for years now) to discover what happened to Dad's family in Hull and why he was put in Linneaus Street Children's Home along with his brother when his Mum died at 32 in 1923.

From the newspaper extract at #11 on the linked thread we know that the children's father Samuel Sissons was already having to be compelled to support the children in 1921, when Mary was still alive, so it is perhaps not surprising if after her death he failed to step up to his responsibilities for them.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi avm,
We are very new to this and will note to try and link up in future.
We know what happened at Court that day and also about the fact that the boys were placed in an Orphanage When Mary Jane Olsen died, but would still like to find any living relatives - tall order we know, but worth a try just to find any living relatives on Dad's side who may have a photo lying around somewhere. Thanks for the advice.
linney 2019