Author Topic: Gwen McDonald of Trefriw  (Read 2199 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gwen McDonald of Trefriw
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 February 19 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Great find Mabel.I had looked at newspapers but under Gwen McDonald not MacDonald.I should have known better from what I said above about Robert.Senior moment!

Roger

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 February 19 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Apparently the jury recommended Thomas Twiston Davies to mercy, owing to the intemperate habits of his wife. There are later further offences of not maintaining his wife, drunkenness and animal cruelty

Given the reference to a deceased well to do man being the father, maybe she was involved with Hugh senior and living together as man and wife in 1891

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 February 19 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I think that's a very good read of the situation.

Roger

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 February 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
The curious thing is the papers always only mention Kate having two children, Gwen and Pierce. So who is Robert. He's also with Magaret in 1891.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 February 19 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it is because she has two children with her,Robert being settled with his grandmother Margaret Evans.I think the attached probably further confirms that Robert,Gwen and Pierce are all illegitimate children of Hugh McDonald aka Hugh Donald McDutton and Catherine or Kate Evans,daughter of Margaret,who by the time this article was written(1899) had married Thomas Twiston Davies in 1898
Hugh Donald McDutton died in 1898 aged 70.It seems likely that the sum of money referred to in the previous article related to this agreement.

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3604377/3604384/79/

Roger

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 February 19 16:09 GMT (UK) »
What a wonderful find MabelB but how terribly sad for the family, thank you so much for sorting this out for me as I thought the children's mother was Catherine's sister Ellen. On the 1891 Census at Blaen y Wern, Llanrhychwyn, Robert Mac Donald age 2 is living with his Grandmother Margaret Evans & Ellin Evans Margaret's daughter. So I naturally presumed she was his mother which was a big mistake. I shall have to delete & start again on this branch.Thanks also for finding Catherine/Kate also in the Workhouse with Pierce.
I did exactly the same as you despair with the surname it just goes to show to try different ways of spelling.
If anyone is interested Gwen married in 1923 & had four children, so it all turned out well for her in the end after a very bad start.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 February 19 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for "compketing" her history,it is always nice to know what happened.
As an aside,the administration record of Hugh(senior)'s will shows him having effects of approx £1400.

Roger

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 February 19 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again despair I have so much to work on now, I seemed to be going around in circles before. The only thing is I am having trouble printing off those very interesting article MabelB found in the Welsh Newspapers have you any hints how to do it please. Also when searching this very interesting Newspaper site when putting in a name, the search results appear to either give the first name or surname separately, is there a way of getting the full name ?

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 February 19 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Try putting quotation marks around the name.
If you can manipulate the position and size of the article,or vital info from it,into view on the screen,you can take a "screenshot",ssve and then print that file.The method for taking a screenshot varies between computers.There is usually a "help" option on your main page which you can use to find instructions,or "google it"!

Roger