Author Topic: Dr Russell Flint Maddren and wife Elizabeth Sanderson (what is her maiden name?)  (Read 5582 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Russell Flint Maddren and wife Elizabeth Sanderson (what is her maiden name?)
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 17 February 19 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Finally found it!

Whereas there is no evidence of Thomas Coulson travelling to the US circa 1914 in any of the travel/immigration/passenger databases we have access to online, there is a travel card issued to TSC upon his arrival in the US in 1921 on which he was asked if he had been in the US before.

** He writes that he had been in the US between 1911 and May 1914 and had stayed in Portland.

There is no clue as to why he chose to go there or whether he was meeting up with people he knew living there. 

-DC

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Russell Flint Maddren and wife Elizabeth Sanderson (what is her maiden name?)
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 17 February 19 00:17 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast (travel) shows

--> Florence Mary Doyle applying for citizenship in Massachussetts in 1917.

FMD is Elizabeth's mother.

I can't see the image itself to see if there are useful details on it.
Can someone take a peek and itemise any details that could be useful?

-DC

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 17 February 19 00:35 GMT (UK) »
From what I can see, it is actually Robert Emmett Doyle aged 29, born Charlottetown, Prince Edward Islland 16th Feb 1889 who is applying for naturalisation. He is married to Mary Florence who was born Revere Massachusetts. Not sure if this is who you are looking for.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 17 February 19 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Haha,,, my bad luck.

Hello again, Groom. Thanks for setting the record straight.

I've been trying to work out the 'story' behind this family moving to Portland.

Can we double check Elizabeth Coulson's passage to the US in 1913?
I don't know what contextual detail is associated with this record, but it
would be worth discovering if she is married to someone else, as in the above case.

-DC

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 17 February 19 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Coulson age 19 on a passenger list 22 July 1913 travelling from Liverpool to Boston on the "Franconia". There is no other information on the image and no middle initial unlike others on the page, so I’m afraid you can’t even be 100 % sure this is her as on other records she always seems to use the middle name or initial.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 17 February 19 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Quite right on that observation, Groome.
On all other records she gives her full middle name (Sanderson).

I think I'm ready to call it a day on this search topic.

We've already found Elizabeth's husband and her tragic fate in China so I think the search has already been highly successful. Finding her mother in the US would have been a nice extra.

Thanks all
-DC

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 17 February 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
The Washington Passenger and Crew Card that shows Thomas Smith Coulson - Heborn - aged 25 years - with a wife Winnifred Beatrice Coulson - last permanent adddress was Stratford Ontario. Does say he had been in the USA November 1911 NY - 1914 Portland - also that his mother Florence Coulson lived at 22 nd St Portland Oregon.

If he was born 1897, he would have been quite young to be in the USA in 1911 so presumable other family members were also with him  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 17 February 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »

Normally the declaration of intention or naturalization certificate gives all the deatils of when they first arrive, date, port etc. the ones for Thomas don't.  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 17 February 19 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Thomas S Coulson Jnr certainly went thru a few wives - Winnifred, Elsie and Caroline. Gave his mother as Mary Doyle on the last one in 1939.

We know mother Florence was in the USA - what happened to the father ?

Is Thomas Smith Coulson Snr the one born 16 July 1866 who passed away in 1919 -  ???

Sandra