Author Topic: new beta on ancestry dna results  (Read 24215 times)

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: new beta on ancestry dna results
« Reply #135 on: Monday 18 March 19 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Can I as a question about Ancestrys DNA results, its a bit of a strange one.
My cousin has taken a DNA test, now for a little bit of history. My Dad was adopted soon after birth by his aunt, so she became my grandmother. My cousin is her biological grand daughter. Her results has shown one of my nieces to be her 3rd cousin. Can this be right? The only biological genes that are shared is between my dads adopted mother and his biological father.
Scotland:Ross, Wilson, Slater, Reid, White.
England: Todd, Butterworth, Bearpark, Angell, Spreadborough,
to name but a few.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Saturday 06 April 19 11:45 BST (UK) »
Can I as a question about Ancestrys DNA results, its a bit of a strange one.
My cousin has taken a DNA test, now for a little bit of history. My Dad was adopted soon after birth by his aunt, so she became my grandmother. My cousin is her biological grand daughter. Her results has shown one of my nieces to be her 3rd cousin. Can this be right? The only biological genes that are shared is between my dads adopted mother and his biological father.
You say your Dad was adopted by his aunt - do you mean his biological aunt, i.e. a sister of either his biological father or mother, not a sister in law? If she was a proper sister, if I understand correctly, you would be second cousin of her granddaughter. Your niece would be a 2nd cousin once removed, which Ancestry may show as a 3rd cousin.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Saturday 06 April 19 13:34 BST (UK) »

You say your Dad was adopted by his aunt - do you mean his biological aunt, i.e. a sister of either his biological father or mother, not a sister in law? If she was a proper sister, if I understand correctly, you would be second cousin of her granddaughter. Your niece would be a 2nd cousin once removed, which Ancestry may show as a 3rd cousin.

I agree with melba.

Also, I  recommend checking with Painter rather than take the Ancestry, etc. relationships:

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Friday 12 April 19 07:03 BST (UK) »
Thrulines is basically working, but when I click on one person of interest (a potential ancestor) I just get a blank page
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Friday 12 April 19 08:31 BST (UK) »
Stonechat, Since ThruLines is still in beta testing there are some bugs still to be ironed out. If you are getting a blank page you should report that instance to Ancestry using the feedback form on the ThruLines page. They are making regular updates based on the feedback they receive.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Friday 12 April 19 09:01 BST (UK) »
I get nothing at all on thru-lines and several common ancestors which used to show up and were correct have disappeared entirely, just get a blank screen and no matches.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Saturday 13 April 19 08:14 BST (UK) »
LizzieL, Try clearing your Ancestry cookies. If that does not help then you will probably need to contact them to find out why you are not getting ThruLines.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Saturday 13 April 19 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have been reading your comments with interest, and went back to Ancestry lab and turned on the Beta feature for grouping ancestors.  Looks great, but I am completely unable to scroll down the page!  No side bar, mouse doesn't work, Page up/Page down doesn't work.  Have completed Feedback for Ancestry with this information.

I will have to switch back to the old format, which is a shame because I really wanted to try the new one out (which I had previously turned off because the filter had to be reapplied after each view of a match - also reported via Feedback).

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Saturday 13 April 19 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Ms C  :)

Ancestry can be odd in some browsers. It appears to be most stable in Firefox or Chrome. Also, you could try deleting  your Ancestry cookies (not the others).

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***