Author Topic: new beta on ancestry dna results  (Read 24227 times)

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: new beta on ancestry dna results
« Reply #108 on: Monday 11 March 19 14:19 GMT (UK) »
In the example I give, it's not a private tree but it has a lot of individuals who are flagged as private because the tree owner has them as still living.

But I was making an assumption.  Theoretically the private individual could be still living.  My ggm died in 1911, so if he married her that year and was only 16, he could be only 122  ::)

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Monday 11 March 19 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Melba,
You say 'The private thing in Thrulines just means that the details are taken from a private tree Jane, rather than that their tree says they are still alive ;D. Obviously that's a point of some controversy, since many weren't aware that Ancestry's terms and conditions allowed them to take private tree data and join it up to make common ancestor links.'

If your tree is private but searchable here is what Ancestry says. The exact wording may have changed recently, I'm not sure, but it had always been along these lines, as far as I remember (which isn't very long these days I am ready to admit).

"This setting makes your tree "Private" so that it can't be viewed as a Public Member Tree. Note that the information from your tree will still be indexed for searching, but those who find your information can't view your tree without your permission.
What does this mean?
Even if you don't share your tree, other members can still learn if a specific deceased individual is in your tree, in addition to the birth year and birthplace of the person and your username (but no personal information about you).
They can then contact you anonymously through the Connection Service on Ancestry sites to request more information. Keep in mind that members who want to learn from your tree may also have helpful information about your tree to offer you in exchange.
Note: although your tree will instantly become public or private, it usually takes about a month or more to be reflected in the search index"

So, they are searching it and finding as any other member can - "other members can still learn if a specific deceased individual is in your tree, in addition to the birth year and birthplace of the person and your username".

Sneaky, but not hidden away in terms and conditions.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Monday 11 March 19 14:35 GMT (UK) »
In the example I give, it's not a private tree but it has a lot of individuals who are flagged as private because the tree owner has them as still living.

But I was making an assumption.  Theoretically the private individual could be still living.  My ggm died in 1911, so if he married her that year and was only 16, he could be only 122  ::)

Jane :-)
Oh I see Jane, yes that's annoying, I admit I sometimes forget to uncheck the living box myself  :P.

Melba,
You say 'The private thing in Thrulines just means that the details are taken from a private tree Jane, rather than that their tree says they are still alive ;D. Obviously that's a point of some controversy, since many weren't aware that Ancestry's terms and conditions allowed them to take private tree data and join it up to make common ancestor links.'

If your tree is private but searchable here is what Ancestry says. The exact wording may have changed recently, I'm not sure, but it had always been along these lines, as far as I remember (which isn't very long these days I am ready to admit).

"This setting makes your tree "Private" so that it can't be viewed as a Public Member Tree. Note that the information from your tree will still be indexed for searching, but those who find your information can't view your tree without your permission.
What does this mean?
Even if you don't share your tree, other members can still learn if a specific deceased individual is in your tree, in addition to the birth year and birthplace of the person and your username (but no personal information about you).
They can then contact you anonymously through the Connection Service on Ancestry sites to request more information. Keep in mind that members who want to learn from your tree may also have helpful information about your tree to offer you in exchange.
Note: although your tree will instantly become public or private, it usually takes about a month or more to be reflected in the search index"

So, they are searching it and finding as any other member can - "other members can still learn if a specific deceased individual is in your tree, in addition to the birth year and birthplace of the person and your username".

Sneaky, but not hidden away in terms and conditions.

Regards Margaret
Margaret, yes I was always aware you can find and see simple info about people in private trees. However what ordinary users cannot do is browse from one person to another - which is what ancestry must be doing to make the links.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Monday 11 March 19 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I am in the UK does anyone have a local contact number for Ancestry.

Since the ThruLines have come out (which I have) I have not been able to see any Ancestry profile, it just comes up as a grey screen with their account/profile number in the header bar.

Even though I have ThruLines, within Ancestry Lab tag I have only the writing, no buttons to able/disable anything.

I have cleared my cache within the last few days, also unlinked, relinked my tree. Also cannot contact support through Ancestry as it is a grey page with rotating circle that never connects.

Any thoughts..or a local number, is it a freephone or do you have to pay to contact them?

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Monday 11 March 19 17:00 GMT (UK) »
My Ancestry.co.uk banner says that profiles are going 'Beta' and I will soon be able to see/do lots more in terms of messaging.

Maybe you are caught in the current change.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Monday 11 March 19 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I am in the UK does anyone have a local contact number for Ancestry.

Since the ThruLines have come out (which I have) I have not been able to see any Ancestry profile, it just comes up as a grey screen with their account/profile number in the header bar.

Even though I have ThruLines, within Ancestry Lab tag I have only the writing, no buttons to able/disable anything.

I have cleared my cache within the last few days, also unlinked, relinked my tree. Also cannot contact support through Ancestry as it is a grey page with rotating circle that never connects.

Any thoughts..or a local number, is it a freephone or do you have to pay to contact them?

Cas

They don't make it easy to find their 'how to contact us' info but I finally located it. I've been looking because I keep getting a banner telling me to update my payment information - but I already have!

Phone number if you're in the UK is 0-800-783-1340 and their hours are Mon-Fri 9am- 10pm, Sat & Sun 9am-8pm. Not sure if that's a free number but I somehow doubt it.

I can't see an email address but they have an email form to complete on this link:

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/email-us

I shall now email them myself!!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Monday 11 March 19 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jill.

The email link just takes me to the grey support page, with the never ending rotating circle that never connects.

Looks like a call it is.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Monday 11 March 19 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cas

I had the same this morning. I use Firefox and it's usually fine with Ancestry foibles. I deleted just the Ancestry cookies and it worked again.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I called Ancestry UK on 0800 032 4681 a few weeks ago (not about DNA).  Their office is located in Dublin and a lovely Irish chap sorted out the problem in no time.  I always prefer speaking to large organisations, rather than emailing which usually brings unhelpful standard replies.

I'm pretty sure 0800 calls are still free.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch