Author Topic: John GARTH (b. ca. 1766, d. 1842) - where did he come from?  (Read 3862 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John GARTH (b. ca. 1766, d. 1842) - where did he come from?
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 23 February 19 01:18 GMT (UK) »

How have you identified your George GARTH to be the son of John GARTH and Mary KERSHAW?.

Do you have a death certificate for George GARTH, died. Canada?

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 23 February 19 01:46 GMT (UK) »

How have you identified your George GARTH to be the son of John GARTH and Mary KERSHAW?.

Do you have a death certificate for George GARTH, died. Canada?

Interestingly, you made me realize that I have the burial record for George in Montreal but I don't have his death record for dying in Ottawa.  However, vital records in Ontario weren't statutory until 1869 so I doubt there is an actual Ontario death record for him.  George's Montreal burial record does give his date of death as 09 Feb 1865 in Ottawa.

George's baptism: "Mar 7th, George, the son of John and Mary Garth of Toad Lane - at my house - infant born Jany 10 Thursday".
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 23 February 19 01:54 GMT (UK) »
There's really no way of me knowing how old Mary really was at her marriage.  If the math is done correctly, Mary would have been about 20 at the time of her marriage.  If Walter was between 15 and 20 in the 1841 Census, Mary would have been about 40-45 when Walter was born
If Mary was under 21 when she married, marriage register should say "minor, with consent of parents". Although if she was around 20 or wasn't sure of her age and her parents weren't around to ask , she might have said she was over 21.
Cowban

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 23 February 19 01:57 GMT (UK) »
John Garth's and Mary Kershaw's marriage (by banns) record doesn't specify anything.  It doesn't even say if John was a bachelor or whether Mary was a minor or not.  It just gives their names and the parishes where they reside at the time of marriage.  However, one of the witnesses was a John Kershaw (relationship unknown).
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood