Author Topic: John & Elizabeth Bullock of Daventry  (Read 873 times)

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John & Elizabeth Bullock of Daventry
« on: Saturday 16 February 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Looking for wise counsel.
John & Elizabeth (nee Cock) were married by licence in Daventry on 6 Sept 1788. I am trying to establish whether they are gggGrandparents of mine, or not.
Does any "rootschatter" have this couple in their family tree?

If this couple are mine they lived in a village, Pirton, at the end of the 1700s. They had a son William born 1797. John the father died between 1797 when his son was born and 1803 when Elizabeth, his wife, a widow, remarried. There are no records for John or William after this time. Elizabeth went on to have more children and died age 60 in 1830.

My problem is to link this Daventry couple with the couple living in Pirton. Apart from the characters already mentioned. There was one other Bullock living in the village, my ggGrandmother Elizabeth. The 1851 and 1861 censuses show her born Daventry c. 1791. I've assumed that this Elizabeth was the daughter of the John & Elizabeth.

Incidentally I can't think why anybody, particularly these literate people would move from Daventry to a village in Hertfordshire.

Any ideas? Does anybody know if the Daventry marriage licences exist for this period, may have info? Are there any other possible John/Elizabeth couples in Daventry at this time?
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John & Elizabeth Bullock of Daventry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 February 19 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Looking at baptisms in the area, there's a Mary Bullock bap 12 Jun 1795 daughter of John & Elizabeth, in Daventry

And there are no sign of any deaths for Bullocks in Daventry. So they definitely moved away from Daventry
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John & Elizabeth Bullock of Daventry
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 February 19 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the details of Mary baptism. Although there is no record of a Mary Bullock in Pirton it does not mean she wasn't there with Bullock family early 1800s. Also the info about lack of Bullocks in Daventry. This adds to my gut feeling that I have the correct family.

Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)