Author Topic: Unable to read most of the info in this death cert  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to read most of the info in this death cert
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I was beginning to have doubts about 'fraternal uncle' too - for a start, what does it actually mean? 'Fraternal' would mean something to do with a brother (Latin - frater), whereas an uncle is connected through a father (paternal) or mother (maternal).

Actually arthur, maybe there's something in the term 'Fraternal Uncle' (on the cert.) & worth noting for future?

Could it be his words were meaning he was the brother of Margaret Mitchell M.S. Samuel to emphasise his relationship?

I think that may make sense (now we have worked it out)  ??? ::)  ;D

Best I could do to enhance & the more I look at it, it does look like 'Fraternal'...used in the wrong context (to us) & my input was from noting the mothers' ms was Samuel.

Annie

Add...Just read Gadgets post (while posting)...one reason we need to make sure we read/see what is asked/written & not see words which don't exist in either  ;)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:28 GMT (UK) »
It could be that she was upset or that it was seen as something that men did rather than women.

I seem to remember when I was young, the men of the family always seemed to do that.  In some cases women didn't go to the funerals either. My maternal grandfather's funeral in 1925 was only attended by men and  soldiers from the regiment in which he served.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Just makes me wonder why the mother was not the informant

I love it when someone else, a relation, is the 'informant' as it helps to gather more leaves but to answer your question, it wasn't/isn't compulsory for a parent/relation to register a death & not forgetting the grief, I think it's a good thing when someone else is given the role of 'informant' if it's a relation.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting thanks for the input this has been a very interesting topic

Thank you all for contributing

Also I agree it’s what we hope for another name or relationship mentioned gives us detail that can help us imagine the circumstances better

Ryan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Annie

If you read polarbear's posting, I think it was agreed that it was Maternal not Fraternal

I'll put the link up here Add- link:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=808453.msg6678577#msg6678577

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Mum was in deep mourning, unable to leave her home,  so Andrew organised the funeral and attended to the paperwork. 

I am in NSW Australia and from my knowledge of how families here in NSW handled deaths in the late 1800s may I suggest that the menfolk here handled all contact and the womenfolk were not even allowed at the graveside for the burial service.

I see nothing odd in the uncle of the deceased being the informant,  and not residing at the same usual abode of the deceased, however I am not familiar with Scottish funeral procedures from that era.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 17:06 GMT (UK) »
If you read polarbear's posting, I think it was agreed that it was Maternal not Fraternal

Yes Gadget, & I agreed based on the surname of the mother but for others doing research, I thought a bit of lateral thinking (still unsure of the writing/scrawl) would benefit others as it's not the 1st time a relationship has been entered different to what it actually was.

I agree with Polarbear on 'Maternal' although I'm struggling to read the lettering but...

Based on the fact William's mother is Margaret Mitchell M.S. Samuel, I think would compromise for 'Maternal'

If you enter this in the search box (without quotes), you will note what I was trying to say...

"turns out to be a cousin of my Grandfather, not a niece"

I think it's worth noting possibles but I do believe ours does say 'Maternal' but very difficult to see (which I can't) without all the input from everyone as well as the address which I still can't read but you did the work on checking the census to clarify it.

Annie

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I thought Gadget's reply #28 (https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=808453.msg6679586#msg6679586) was helpful as it showed the following two entries with Father and Mother as informants, in the same handwriting.

From these it was apparent that the first letter of ours was very similar to the 'M' of Mother, and quite different from the 'F' of Father. Based on that, ours is more likely to be Maternal than Fraternal.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Linda RAIOLA

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  the more research you do,  the more bizarre issues you encounter ....  sometimes we have to be very creative thinkers but sometimes simple is best .  I  believe that the M.S. merely means Maiden surname ....  which is Samuels. 
cheers,  Linda