Author Topic: Mary Ann Langley b 1822-1830  (Read 1285 times)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Langley b 1822-1830
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 February 19 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Please could anyone tell me whether all of the Berkshire records have been digitised yet? I have lots of records on ancestry from Oxfordshire but when I search for baptisms and marriages for Berkshire there seems to be lots missing.
Do you know where is best to look please as I think I have found the marriage of William Langley at Binfield to Mary Dowling 1816 (Mary Ann's likely parents).
I have also found a baptism for William (there were 3 possibles 1781, 1783 and 1790 but think 1783 is the most likely his age changes across the census records but it seems to fit best and there seems to be 2 William and Mary combinations in the area). The 1783 William was born to William and Elizabeth.
But I can find no marriages for William and Elizabeth and no baptisms/christenings for Mary Dowling which makes me think the records might be missing (or perhaps Mary Dowling had a different maiden name and married as a Dowling widow).

William born 1783 - 4th reg foot 'Earl of Cheltenham'. Corporal. Lost right leg at St Jean de Luz (a fort where Wellington was camped) in the Napolionic wars. Discharged. WO 97/263/73 poss lost leg battle of Vitoria fighting in the left column under Gen Thomas Graham. 4th reg foot,5th div 2nd brig His son James was in the Royal Marines in Devon and John fought in the Crimea!

Best wishes,
Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 February 19 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I doubt that any county has complete records. FindMyPast has the index of the Berkshire Family History Soc but no scans of the registers, records cover 80 parishes.

Where did you find the information about him losing a leg? Not sure that he could work as an ag lab if he had only one leg. It was hard work.

St Jean de Luz was Wellington's winter headquarters 1813-4, not a fort.
https://www.tripsavvy.com/st-jean-de-luz-french-atlantic-coast-1517702
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 February 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I doubt that any county has complete records. FindMyPast has the index of the Berkshire Family History Soc but no scans of the registers, records cover 80 parishes.

Where did you find the information about him losing a leg? Not sure that he could work as an ag lab if he had only one leg. It was hard work.

St Jean de Luz was Wellington's winter headquarters 1813-4, not a fort.
https://www.tripsavvy.com/st-jean-de-luz-french-atlantic-coast-1517702

Ah ok, thank you, I thought it might have been a fort but it looks more likely that the British were camped at the castle in the area and it was a position on the way to attacking Vitoria?

Thanks for letting me know where to find the records.

I wondered if he had a role e.g. perhaps riding carts at the farm or something that didn't require being out in a field?? Although disabled I think he would have still been able to do stuff (one of my grandfathers was an ag labourer on the census but he actually sat at a bench sorting apples that others picked for the harvest season)?

Anyway his record is here:
UK, Royal Hospital, Chelsea: Regimental Registers of Pensioners, 1713-1882
Name Wm Langley Birth Year abt 1783 Birth Place Wokingham, Berks Rank Corporal Regiment 4th Regiment of Foot Residence Date 7 Sep 1814 Document Type Regimental Registers of Pensioners

Sergent 2yrs 11m, Major 11m, Corporal 1yr 7m. Age 31. Complaint - lost right leg at st-jean-de-luz, born Wokingham Berks, Trade or occupation labourer, hair - dark, eyes - hazel, complexion - fresh.

Thank you very much for the link.
Best wishes,
Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)