Author Topic: Weir(d) birth reg problem (boy oh boy do I get 'em!)  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weir(d) birth reg problem (boy oh boy do I get 'em!)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I raised a data error report with the GRO about this seemingly duplicated registration, I gave both parents names, told them there is no record of another Woodcock-Weir marriage and that it appeared that these two entries were a duplication.

After a while the log said it had been investigated and no amendment was required. Left with the possibility that there were two Woodcock-Weir couples having children in the same area and time frame, that shed some doubt on months/years worth of research.

So I bit the bullet and sent for pdfs for both entries.

Am rather cross now as it IS the same child , same parents, same address, same birth date (though the informant on one was the Dad and on t'other it was Mam). Apart from the surname in the father and mother columns, which in the first was originally down as WILKINSON and later amended to say Woodcock.
I suspect that Dad, who registered the first entry on 4th December, did not notice that the surname was incorrect. He'd have taken at least a short cert away with him, shoved it in his pocket and probably dashed off to work.
The error must have been noticed later and on 17th December Mam went along and informed the registrar, who altered the first entry and re-registered the birth.

As there is no indication on the old index scans, I raised this query with the GRO and they didn't think it relevant to indicate  re-registration and the error was the registrar's in the first place, I have emailed the GRO requesting a refund for one of the pdfs.
I am not holding my breath, but at least will give it a go, these things are expensive enough without paying to see errors made by the service that is now making money from it:-)

Boo

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Well if its anything like our government, you might get a refund of one but you may have to go through 100 people and two bottles of headache pills. 

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
:-) It looks like the child's mother, Isabella, was a woman who had no problems complaining when something wasn't right and sticking to her guns till the powers that be put it right.

By the time those genes were passed down to me (her 2x G Grandaughter) we have refined and reinforced them over the generations. No matter how long they sidestep, I will continue to politely, but firmly, point out that the original error and the subsequent information given by them resulted in what I view as an overcharge and I really do want a refund.
I'm good for a while yet, I can plug away at this for years if needed.

:-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Weir(d) birth reg problem (boy oh boy do I get 'em!) UPDATE
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 12:34 BST (UK) »
I have now had a reply to my email asking for  refund for one of the pdfs I purchased.

Though they maintain that, as the first entry wasn't cancelled, both index entries are correctly in their database but they have taken my complaint on board (and presumably see why I was unhappy) and the refund for one is now in my bank.

So I am pleased :-)

Boo