Author Topic: finding the birth and parents of Robert Akester a tailor  (Read 1218 times)

Offline takester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
finding the birth and parents of Robert Akester a tailor
« on: Wednesday 20 February 19 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Robert Akester was recorded as born in 1733 'of this parish' at Holy Trinity church Hull when he married Elizabeth Waff of Stepney in 1756. He subsequently married Ann Holdsworth of Lund in 1781. Bishops Transcripts and HT parish records do not  reveal his birth or parents.  Any help to uncover his birth and parents would be appreciated .
 Tony Akester
 descendant

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: finding the birth and parents of Robert Akester a tailor
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Sadly I cannot find a birth for Robert but I did find the following.

John Akester, of  Pontefract? Married Margaret Steel, otp 1/05/1732 Badsworth,York

Rosamand Akester married Samuel Harrison 5 Nov 1732 Pontefract, St Giles and St Mary

I checked the records for Pontefract which are on Ancestry, they are fairly clear but there are some damaged pages in 1733, however no Akester records 1742 +/- 10 years but there are some earlier and later. Rosamand above for example was born 1806.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline takester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: finding the birth and parents of Robert Akester a tailor
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Colin , I have seen some akester trees where John Akester of Pontefract married Margret Steel or Sleep in her parish of  Badsworth but could find no children from the marriage the only indicator was that they were married in 1731. Furthermore Pontefract and Badsworth are , for those days, a long way from Holy Trinity Hull, so I could not connect Robert.
 I know that 'of this parish'  did not seem to mean much , but it suggests Robert was in Hull for a while.
 One researcher wrote that the HT parish records were bombed during the war so  the records of the 1730s were lost , however the bishops transcripts did not turn up anything either.
 There are akesters with the same spelling in Beverley - but I cannot connect them either.
 Tony