Author Topic: Missing Jane Buchanan & James Brownlie both born Cambusnethan  (Read 4117 times)

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Jane Buchanan & James Brownlie both born Cambusnethan
« on: Wednesday 20 February 19 18:46 GMT (UK) »
A family member has informed me of the possibility that both of the above, half sister and half brother may have emigrated to Jamaica between 1901 and 1911. This was relayed to her by a deceased family member who mentioned, in later life, that he could possibly have relations in Kingston, Jamaica. As I have been concentrating on Canada/Australia records this has come as a major surprise.Any pointers out there as to the best starting point with this search? Do I start with America? Then track onwards. Would not be surprised if Jane went into service and James on to some kind of land work. As usual any info greatly appreciated.
Stewart: Scotland & Ireland
Buchanan: Scotland
Stephen: Scotland& Canada
Diamond: Ireland & Scotland
McCallum, Scotland

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Jane Buchanan & James Brownlie both born Cambusnethan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Do you have years of birth for them and parent's names? Any personal information that will help in the search.

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 19 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your response, the information I have is as follows;
Jane Buchanan was born in 1889 in Cambusnethan and her parents were, Andrew Buchanan born 1847 in Fintry and Jane Buchanan( McCallum) born 1859 again in Cambusnethan. They married 29th November 1878.

Unfortunately Andrew died 20th January 1890 and Jane (McCallum) Buchanan remarried shortly thereafter.

Her second husband was James Brownlie, sometimes known as Docherty.  Difficulty tracking him down as appears to be something of a mystery man. This second marriage produced a further four children the oldest of whom is my missing James Brownlie. He was born in 1892 in Cambusnethan. As both he and Jane Buchanan disappeared from view between 1901 and 1911 I think they may have moved on together given there is only an age gap of three years. As I said the possible Jamaica connection has totally thrown me, I was expecting Canada/Australia or USA, but this Jamaica, especial mention , over 30 years ago from an elderly, now deceased relative, of Kingston is a total surprise. The elderly relative did not tell me this but a cousin of mine who lives in another country, not Jamaica, but Canada. Once again many thanks for any advice
McCallum, Scotland

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 19 19:28 GMT (UK) »
I see that James Buchanan was baptised with the surname Docherty. I wonder if he also used this surname later on?
Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
James Docherty
born 26 Jul 1891
At Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland
Father - James Docherty
Mother - Jane Mccallion Buchanan Docherty
FHL Film 255134

Not having much luck at the moment sorting them out from the chaff.

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 February 19 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your assistance. There seems to be so many names used here. Perhaps Jane also used the name Docherty/Brownlie, so complicated.
McCallum, Scotland

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 February 19 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I think you should maybe invest in a few credits on Scotlands People and you might solve the mystery
Information from a tree on Ancestry for James Brownlie he married Janet Rintoul 1915 Dalziel
A copy of the marriage certificate has his father as James Brownlie mother Jane McCallum

Death on Scotlands People James Docherty Brownlie 1953 Stirling age 62 might be worth getting a copy

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 February 19 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Another tree has Jane Buchanan married to a George Cassells ( can't find a marriage to confirm this ) ...They have a death for Jane 1947 ... there is a death for a Jane Buchanan 1947 other surname Cassells age 58  in Dalziel also on Scotlands People might be worth checking out

Rosie

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 February 19 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, off to Scotlands People, now. Will let you know how I get on.
McCallum, Scotland

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 February 19 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Found my missing Jane on Scotlands People.Parents all check out. I have her Death cert as 3rd August 1947 and it shows that just like her Mother, Jane was married twice. First husband was Thomas McClung, coalminer and husband number two, was George Cassells, Iron Dresser. The informant on death cert was her son, it looks like Stewart or Thomas McClung, although the handwriting is so indistinct.His address is given as  Anstay, Leicester. The really strange thing is that Jane's address at time of death is the same street as my long gone Grandmother's, and Gran's next door neighbours name was Cassells. But don't know if any connection as this is two different sides of the family. Was Jane visiting my Gran for some reason? Did they know one another? My parents married two years after the death of Jane. The further I dig, the more complicated it becomes. Many thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. Tomorrow I will find James Brownlie/Docherty.
McCallum, Scotland