Author Topic: 18th century coal mining  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
18th century coal mining
« on: Thursday 21 February 19 16:20 GMT (UK) »
When Robert Inglis was interviewed by the mining commission just before he died in 1841 he said:

'I am the oldest collier on Sir John Hope's work... I was born 9th Sept. 1759 and worked at Pinkie Pit long before the colliers got their freedom; the first emancipation took place on the 3rd of July, 1775'

He seems likely to be the Robert Ingles, born on 9 Sep 1759, to James and Ann Ingles of Mortoun Colehouses, and baptised a few days later at the Presbyterian Church in Spittal just outside Berwick, as the dates and occupation match perfectly; and Robert's first son was called James.

My understanding as that, pre-1775, any children born in a mining community were tied to that particular mine and there were penalties for trying to leave, so how did Robert end up moving from Berwick to Liberton where he married and then worked for Sir John Hope? Were there links between the two places?

Or is this just a big co-incidence?

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 18th century cola mining
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 19 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the Scottish mining website as they have owners and timescales when pits opened etc.  I have done a bit of research in my husbands tree and sometimes if one pit not doing well miners went to another that was owned or bought by same owner.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 19 17:45 GMT (UK) »
My understanding as that, pre-1775, any children born in a mining community were tied to that particular mine and there were penalties for trying to leave, so how did Robert end up moving from Berwick to Liberton where he married and then worked for Sir John Hope? Were there links between the two places?

Or is this just a big co-incidence?

Richard

The situation with miners was in a technically grey area - they were neither Serfs nor slaves but the legallities of their situation basically made them so - any miner leaving without his masters consent could be charged with theft (of his own person) unless they stayed free for a year and a day.
(from various Acts of Parliament from 1606 to 1670)
The situation with the children of "bound" mine workers was slightly different as the Mine Owners often tried to make this bond hereditary by presenting a "gift" or "bounty" (referred to as "Arles" ) to the miners family at the child's Baptism.

The possibility exists that either no gift was presented or accepted by the family or they did a runner. Not all runaways were pursued unless it suited the Mine owner. Often other landowners poached experienced miners from one area to come to theirs and hid them from the law for the required period

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 19 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Just thinking that maybe rules different in England where Berwick is.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 19 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Just thinking that maybe rules different in England where Berwick is.

Sorry - the above were applicable only in Scotland the Acts of Parliament were from the Scots Parliament before the Union.
(in my defence - the query was posted in the Scotland board  ;D - that said I should have read the whole thing)
As far as my understanding goes English Miners were much freer although bound to certain owners. (Emancipation of miners in Scotland didn't really start until 1799 and even then some owners on the East Coast were reputed to have maintained the Bounty and bonded families until the 1820's)

The Industrial Revolution in Scotland meant that the demand for coal soared and the working conditions underwent rapid changes when the Mine Owners brought in English and Welsh miners who would not accept the Scottish conditions of employment.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 19 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Salters in Scotland ditto!

Skoosh.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 February 19 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Salters in Scotland ditto!

Skoosh.

Both Miners and Salters were included in the legislation in 1601 and marked as "essential" to the National Economy. The 1641 act extended the scope of the legislation to cover anybody that worked in mining and the Salt industry and not just the miners & Salters.
I don't know about the salt industry but even the Poor Law of the time allowed "able bodied beggars" to be sentenced to "employment" in the mines

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 February 19 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Saw the title of this thread and a long forgotten song popped into my head.  Are these cola mines next to the lemonade springs in the big rock candy mountains?

Jane  ;)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 18th century coal mining
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 February 19 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the typo in the title!..and thanks for your thoughts.

I knew that Berwick was English but wondered whether, with its close links to Scotland, it might have had some unusual practices re mining, although I can find very little on Berwick mining in the 18th century. I did know something about Scottish mining (and have written about it here:
https://www.64regencyancestors.com/scottish-miners-1) but wasn't sure how it would have worked in these circumstances.

I think I just found it difficult to understand why someone would voluntarily move from a place where there was some degree of freedom to a place where the strict rules of near slavery still persisted. Certainly Robert's statement in 1841 suggested that his father and grandfather had been 'slaves' to the Laird of Preston Grange, which would make it odder still that his father moved to Berwick for a while. Perhaps he ran away and was taken back.

I have seen the Scottish Mining site, which has lots about other relatives, but I could see anything relevant to Robert Inglis.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk