Author Topic: Dolbenmaen Cemetery  (Read 3340 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dolbenmaen Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 March 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Been back to cemetery and found the grave.
Death date on stone is 7th.
At bottom of stone says that it was put up by her son M. Jones .
Emyr

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 March 19 19:20 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother had told me many a time that her grandmother had died of shock after being burnt but she never said anything about Robert Roberts.

That does sound remarkably  like the cause of death for Robert.  Sometimes these family stories do get mixed up

The newspaper item summarises the inquest - on the morning a neighbouring farm worker popped in on Robert Roberts as he passed the cottage on the way up the mountain.  He found the old man sat next to the fire comfortably with his dog. Walking back down that evening he heard a dog barking in a heartbreaking manner and crossed the moor to check the cottage. He found Robert Roberts lying dead in the doorway with some of his clothes burnt and some still burning [I guess smouldering] . The dog ran around his master barking and whining. The inquest decided he had either had some kind of attack and fell into the fire, or his clothes caught light,  he managed to walk to the doorway, but died of shock and burns.

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 March 19 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Mabel Bagshawe thanks for taking an interest, I am finding the coincidence rather odd.
The inquest report that the archives staff in Caernarvon found for me, agreed in every particular with the story my grandmother had told me. Her maternal grandmother died after her clothes caught fire  January 1910.
If my theory is correct Robert Roberts would have been the husband of her paternal grandmother.
Emyr Borth
Thank you very much.  The fact that the stone had been put up by son  M Jones lends more support to my theory that Ellen Roberts  was the Ellen Jones, Ty Newydd, Penmorfa who was recorded as the mother on the birth certificates of Ann, William and Morris Jones.No mention of the father on any of them
 Morris was witness at William's marriage to Jane Lloyd in 1881 and  went to California to grow
oranges in 1893. 
On 1861 census Ann and William are at Ty Newydd but with the surname Morris!!!
On the marriage certificate William uses the surname Griffith and states that father was William Griffith (deceased).
I did not intend to write an essay, but I did want to ask you if you know anything of Ty Newydd, Penmorfa.  I had been told that it was a pub.
Diolch yn fawr i'r ddau ohonoch.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 March 19 22:23 GMT (UK) »

I did not intend to write an essay, but I did want to ask you if you know anything of Ty Newydd, Penmorfa.  I had been told that it was a pub.

This small news item suggests it was some kind of  licensed premises

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4458280/4458286/60/

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 March 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hadn't appreciated the fire was on the other side of the family. Sadly, such events weren't uncommon - I have a  young child in my tree who died in similar circumstances

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 March 19 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Corrected my last message. Bottom of stone says HER son, not HIS son.
Emyr

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:12 GMT (UK) »
There goes my theory that Robert was the father of Ellen's children even though he was married to another.  Thought that I might be unearthing a scandal!!  Up to now I have only found these three illegitimate children.
Diolch

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 March 19 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Phoned the archives in Caernarvon on Friday.  The report to Robert Robert's inquest has survived.  Waiting for them to send me some forms to request photocopies.  Maybe there might be a little bit of extra information there.  Not holding my breath but it will be good to see it

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 March 19 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Good news .... remember to eep us posted