Author Topic: DNA Links to MacRae of Kintail  (Read 402 times)

Offline Lassie147

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Links to MacRae of Kintail
« on: Sunday 24 February 19 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I have recently had my DNA tested and now have found l have several links that seem to lead to my 3xgreat grandmother. Unfortunately, in the history written by her grandson, John "Squire" MacKay, he mentions that she was a MacRae from Kintail, Ross, Scotland but does not mention her forename. Most trees have her as Catherine, but the dates seem suspect to me. I have been unable to find her marriage to my 3xgreat grandfather, John Roy MacKay, one of the pipers of Gairloch, who emigrated to Nova Scotia in 1805 with most of his family except my 2xgreat grandmother.

The names that are coming up on my matches' trees include Mary MacRae born 1804 who married John Cameron (can't find that marriage); Daniel (Long Daniel) MacRae (1757) who married Sarah MacKenzie: his father is given as Farquhar MacRae (born 1723 died 1800 in North Carolina). I have trawled through many records, but these ones don't seem to be there. Of course, the dates may be approximate. Finding these 3 marriages would be a great help (and any other supporting evidence).

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Links to MacRae of Kintail
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 February 19 09:43 GMT (UK) »
You don't mention this in your post; so have you contacted the people who have created the trees that you are viewing? If they can tell you where they got their dates, it might point you to sources for the dates/names you are looking for.

Offline Lassie147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Links to MacRae of Kintail
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I have written to two of them. No reply as yet. There are a number of historical accounts of my family, but they don't have the women's names. The DNA links are well back, but I seem to be the one in my family who has that link. I may have to keep on trying to find closer links.