Author Topic: births  (Read 1299 times)

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
births
« on: Tuesday 26 February 19 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi I believe my gggranfather was born in Bridewell precinct Hospital  middlesex in 1826 or lived there at a later date  and would like to know how I can get a record of his birth  his names is james henry wollaston, but believed he went under the name of henry wollaston, he was born on 26 july 1826, born to an Elizabeth Naylor who we believe was 10yrs old at the time, I have a cencus for him under the name of henry wollaston in the 1841 census , naming the Blackfriars hotel new Bridge st, it being an istitution  hope you can help many thanks     wolly

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: births
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 01:12 GMT (UK) »
The Henry WOLLASTON at St Bride's in 1841 is a 15 year old apprentice surgeon in the home of Charles HOLDING a surgeon of 13 New Bridge Street.  The ages have been rounded down so Henry could be older than 15.

Perhaps you can give some information about your Henry's later life.

Civil registration of births, deaths, and marriages did not commence until 1837.

Debra  :)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Birth registrations in England began in 1837 so he would not have had a birth certificate. You'll need to look for a baptism for him. Where did you get his place of birth from?
How did you calculate the age of his mother, Elizabeth Naylor? She was extremely unlikely to have been 10 years old when she gave birth to him. Are you sure you have the correct mother and son combination? Did you get her age from 1841 census? Ages of people 15+ on that census were supposed to be rounded down to a multiple of 5.  Have you found either of them on 1851 census or later?
Why was Elizabeth's surname Naylor and James Henry's surname Wollaston?
Cowban

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Henry Wollaston  at 13 New Bridge St  Blackfriars (not at the hotel) states "no" - not born in Middlesex

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I think you have the mother a little muddled

Parish Records St Mary Islington
No 689
James Henry Wollaston
born 26 July 1826
Baptised 22 Jun 1832
parents Henry Francis & Elizabeth
address Queen Sfather;s occ Merchants Clerk

there is a marriage Henry Francis Wollaston esquire
Elizabeth Naylor
7 Aug 1839 Weald Essex

Possibly James Henry's mother was a different Elizabeth to Elizabeth Naylor
Maybe James Henry's mother Elizabeth died and his father remarried to another Elizabeth??
I can find Henry Francis and Elizabeth in 1841 in Surrey with a 5mth old son Frederick
1851 they are visiting Naylor family in Hampshire

so you need to look for a marriage of Henry Francis to an Elizabeth pre 1826

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 02:18 GMT (UK) »
we have all the revelent material except mnothers name why we say her name was naylor because James (Henry 's) father was Henry francis wollaston and Henry francis married Elizabeth Naylor the families were well known to each other and the wollaston book states that Henry Francis had an illigitamate child,  mothers name has never been mentioned , there were 2 Elizabeth Naylors one daughter of edward naylor b: 1814  who was in the navy in Portsea and the other Elizabeth b: 1816 to Oliver naylor brother of Edward   married Henry Francis    the first Elizabeth daughter of Edward we have a birth cert but no marriage or death its very compicated

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 02:25 GMT (UK) »
I don't think the Henry Wollaston you refer to in 1841 is your man.   

When James Henry married in 1846 he was a Carpenter and a surgeon's apprentice not likely to have been a carpenter 5 years later.

I think JH in 1841 is the James Wollaston 14 Carpenters Apprentice who is in Finsbury with a David Anderson, carpenter and builder.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Who did Elizabeth say her father was when she married Henry Francis?

Debra  :)

Offline wolly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth s father  was Oliver Naylor that is what its on the marriage cert,  where was the other census that sounds more pheasable,   a cousin of mine found the other one ,