Author Topic: Re: Help on word Deciphering  (Read 419 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help on word Deciphering
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 11:23 GMT (UK) »
The OP asked for info about St Lawrence cemetery a while back.  Could it just be that?

Gadget

Quite likely  ;D

I would certainly be expecting it to be a location on that document rather than a name but as I said it does not look like the other S on the same image.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Link to other (long) thread, in case it's relevant:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=759593.63

Add - it would fit with Judy's project

Hi Everyone,
I am in need of some help here....I am currently involved in helping to find people who are buried in unmarked graves in the St.Lawrence cemetery in Qld ....I
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Good hunting, Gadget!

Rosie, I agree the S's don't match, even taking into account the cross of the t runs into the second one; when I first looked I thought it was an H.  However, I do notice with my own handwriting for abbreviations starting with S, that my S's are different than for full words. For a full word, I start at the bottom with the tail, like most people, but for abbreviations, I start at the top, as if to print it.  I can't be the only person doing that!
Seeing a few more S's on that document might sort it out.

Offline bozzo2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 February 19 00:35 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Everyone....thanks so much ...yes it would be St.Lawrence in Qld Australia....yes  Gadget I am still on the Cemetery project....Cheers to all that helped....the Uncle bit stumped me.

Regards
Judy