Author Topic: Theory of Family Relativity - MyHeritage Feature  (Read 2053 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Theory of Family Relativity - MyHeritage Feature
« on: Wednesday 27 February 19 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I dont want to come across as a salesperson for this company but they just keep getting better and better

Logged in again (after midnight my time) to see a new feature  called Theory of Family Relativity

It gave me 22 names and most I had already worked out a commonality but 1 or 2 I hadnt so I clicked on a name and they have linked the person for me

ie '' this person is your 4th Ggrandfather'
    ' this person is xxxxx 5th Ggrandfather'

Its all based on common trees and such

Estimated relationship based on DNA: 3rd cousin - distant cousin.
MyHeritage found a theory that may explain how XXXX is related to you.
Theory: XXXXXX is your 4th cousin once removed on your mother's side

This path is based on 2 community trees and 4 MyHeritage family trees, with 20% confidence

I am going off to play. I hope you find the info as helpful as I did
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Theory of Family Relativity - MyHeritage Feature
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look and it was accurate on one or two HOWEVER (as always!) there is one very complex connection that has my great grandfather living and dying in the USA when he never left Ireland

It maybe that the other familytree has incorrect information/records attached but it is very interesting...

It seems to be for the home person only which is irritating as my OH is now put out!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look and it was accurate on one or two HOWEVER (as always!) there is one very complex connection that has my great grandfather living and dying in the USA when he never left Ireland

It maybe that the other familytree has incorrect information/records attached but it is very interesting...

It seems to be for the home person only which is irritating as my OH is now put out!
Yes! I came back to type the same thing

I looked at another and the connection they have just doesnt fit

Thank you for highlighting this though . As always the DNA doesnt over ride the paperwork. They need to go hand in hand UNTIL you cant find another solution by paper

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Could I ask where you found it on the site as I do not appear to have it. Could be they are just testing it on some people first  :)

Thank you

Cancel that I have just found it  ;D

Well first impressions are positive. It gave me seven theories five of which I had previously verified, one which was outstanding as the match has an error in her tree and I had not contacted her about yet. The last theory I think will prove to be right and has 5 paths back to common ancestors, but then they are a long way back!

What is disappointing is I "know" there are closer matches but the people will not respond and/or do not have a tree that is included in the theory matching. Hopefully this will improve and there will be more theories to come in the days and months ahead.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 19 19:31 GMT (UK) »
If anyone finds out how you can tell them one of their theories is wrong please could you let me know. Thank you.

Answering my own question

What to do if a theory is wrong
Currently, it is not possible to confirm or reject a theory. Perhaps we’ll add that functionality later on.

If you consider a theory as incorrect because of a wrong Smart Match in your tree, you can easily reject that Smart Match in the Smart Matches section of the website (accessible from the menu at Discoveries>Matches by People). This will cause the bad theory to disappear.
If you spot a wrong theory because of a mistake that another user made in their tree, please consider being a good genealogy citizen by contacting the tree owner where you spotted this mistake and letting them know what you think is wrong. Once they fix it, it will repair the theory or eliminate it altogether.
If a theory is incorrect due to a match and that match is not in your tree, you can let the tree owner know about it so they will reject that match. Or you can simply ignore any theory that you consider as incorrect.

So basically we have to persuade another tree owner their tree is wrong. That should be fun  ;D
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Its an interesting conundrum

Are we rejecting the tree , the theory or the DNA?

I have one that jumps from Simpson to Sampson and carries on regardless. I want to reject the theory but not the match . The match could be elsewhere and the algorithms havent worked hard enough

It seems to me this is MyHeritages way of shifting blame for their poor algorithms. Do I see bad trees? Mine is probably terrible and full of mistakes so I assume others are just as bad ;)

Simpson to Sampson? Thats on you MH

Scott, Cronin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 February 19 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Out of 9000+ matches, this feature managed to match me to 3 people. Only one was correct  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:43 GMT (UK) »
I can't seem to find this option on my account 😓 do you need to have a subscription or to have actually had your dna tested trough MyHeritage rather than just uploaded?

H x
Gedmatch kit number: A783595
Linkston, linkstone, Linkson (Scotland)
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)
Stevenson (Ireland / Scotland)
Fadian, English, Vesey, Gielty, Gallagher, Masterson (Achill, Co Mayo.)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:52 GMT (UK) »
If you click on DNA matches, it should come up as a banner headline in bright pink/purple.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***