Author Topic: Vic BDM Site  (Read 1366 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vic BDM Site
« on: Wednesday 27 February 19 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Change is fine , Change occurs , I accept change and all its myriad benefits

But the new Vic BDM site is a dogs breakfast and worse than before

Search is limited. Open ended date searching is gone , date must be entered. Number of returns are limited DUE to the site returning double entries using both parents in mirror format. The names are higgledy piggledy and dont follow form ie fathers name may be left or right and then turn about when it mirrors.

It was fine as it was

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Vic BDM Site
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 23:45 GMT (UK) »
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Its frustrating to use
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes, what was a very good set of online indexes is now shredded and made very complicated.  Indexes serve a very useful purpose as pointers to actual records, but I suspect that was not the foccus of this revision....  ::)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 19 01:25 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that they have made searching so irritating to distract us from the fact that they have limited the number of fields that are now returned. Maybe they are hopeful that we will be forced to pay for more certificates?

for example:

now:
Event: deaths
Registration number: 7198 / 1955
Family name: RICHARDSON
Given name(s): Louis William
Place of event: BRUNSWICK WEST, Australia
Parent 1's family name at birth: CORBETT
Parent 2's given name: RICHARDSON Louis Edward

before:
Event: Death
Event registration number: 7198
Registration year: 1955
Family name: RICHARDSON
Given names: Louis William
Sex: Male (Note: this field is needed to rule out ambiguities .. and yes I get the political correctness behind this, but you can push things too far for this historical data)
Father's name: RICHARDSON Louis Edward
Mother's name: Mary Ann (Corbett)
Place of birth: BALLARAT
Place of death: BRUNSWICK WEST

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 February 19 04:53 GMT (UK) »
I agree - it's no longer nearly as useful particularly for searches where the information you have is a bit sketchy.

Has anyone written to them about it?

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 February 19 05:01 GMT (UK) »
I phoned the office of the Victorian Premier ... I mentioned I was phoning from Newcastle NSW ... they listened .... and I was 'brief'  .. (well 'brief' for me!  ::)  ::) ) and I gave them my home address for 'the informative' reply... 

ADD  here it is
(03) 9651 5OOO  (change the O to 0)

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 February 19 06:44 GMT (UK) »
I have been forced to revert to the old manual resource.
Click click click. Round it goes, stall, wobble, clatter, clatter it goes ;)

However, it does produce the information, although the years available are less extensive.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 March 19 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes Sue I am using my Vic discs also and thankfully they still function as I am still using Windows 7.

Glory be....tried to purchase an historical death certificate last night.  Gave up. 

After waiting one and a half hours to speak to someone in the recent death registrations [Jan 2019] last week, I doubt you will get any sort of a satisfactory answer as to why the new system is so appalling and certainly not user friendly.  It would seem that my late husband's place of birth has a town of the same name in two states [well according to their database] and their system would only accept one state, the wrong one.  The funeral director attempted to correct it through the funeral directors' portal but the system would not accept it.  At that stage I gave up. I understand from the undertaker that a new certificate will be issued....but when :o :o
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk