Author Topic: Forfar addresses  (Read 2880 times)

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Forfar addresses
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 March 19 02:01 GMT (UK) »
don't know if this helps was looking for toyhillock on scotlands places couldn't find anything so thought would try look up in newspapers only found one entry mentioning toyhillock  this is from the Dundee courier & argus & northern warder dated Friday feb. 26th 1886 I wont write the full article but headline is gang of youthfull poacher, it goes on to mention the names of them and address in Forfar and one of them is a William bell factory worker of toyhillock it goes on to say all were charged with having on sunday 14th feb, trespassed in peruet of game on a field on the estate of auchterforfar known as the cunninghill

harrywrag

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Ah.

But Toyhillock does appear in the index of at least one of the Forfar directories.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Here is a snip of the census showing the address as Toyhillock
As I said earlier my 3xgt Uncle lived in the Prior Road Headingstone Place area so must be about there

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 March 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
1920 and 1923 entries in Forfar Dispatch:

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 March 19 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I had a good rake about in the Valuation Rolls and the Post Office directories for Forfar.

There was (1) Alexander Clark, factory worker, who lived in various houses around the west end of the town from 1886 onwards. I think he can be discounted.

(2) Alexander Clark, mason, was at 22 Arbroath Road in 1886 and 1887, and at Toyhillock in 1892. This is the only mention I can find in either the VRs or the PO directories of an Alexander Clark in Toyhillock.

(3) Alexander Clark, turner, was at 5 Prior Road 1892-1893, 1 Prior Road 1893-1894 and 1902, 40 Prior Road in 1895 and 6 Arbroath Road 1898-1900.

(2) and (3) are definitely not the same person, because they are both listed in the 1892 PO directory.

(4) There remain listings of Alexander Clark with various occupations - weaver, carter, packman - at Headingstone Place (various spellings) whch is sometimes listed as in Prior Road and sometimes not. He is in 1 William Street in 1894 and 3 William Street 1895-1897.

I looked for other people whose address was sometimes given as Toyhillock. One was a Samuel Easson, described in the street directories as a carter, who was at 41 Prior Road from 1885-1901 (except for one year when it was listed as 44 Prior Road), then at 13 Headingstone Place, 41 Prior Road 1902-1911, except for 1907 when the PO directory listed him at Toyhillock. I have to ask myself whether Toyhillock was a clerical error, but if not, it might pinpoint Toyhillock.

There were other people listed in the street directories at Toyhillock - John Samson, mason; Alexander McFarlane, factory wroker; James Macdougall, factory worker; David Ross, factory worker; David Christie, night watchman; James Mictchell, joiner; Alexander Adamson, labourer; and Edward Campbell, carter. I have not yet looked in detail at any of these. (Breakfast calls!)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 March 19 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh, very good, scotmum! Your post crossed with mine just now.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 March 19 19:10 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for returning to my query in such a tardy manner!
Firstly, thank you all for the suggestions. My gut feeling was that Chapel Park would have been in the Academy Street area, if only because of the similar names around that area. The family living there were William Morrison (hand loom weaver), wife Margaret Munro & children (Catherine Ramsay Morrison is my interest here.
Some fabulous information regarding Toyhillock, certainly sounds like an 'informal' local name rather than an 'official' one. The family I have there are William Munro & Charlotte Milne, more handloom weavers. They were listed at Headingstone Place in 1881 & 29 Prior Road in 1871 & 1861. It seems that a few generations of this family lived on Prior Road, Headingstone Place & Montrose Road which I know from the maps are very close to each other.
Scotmum, that snippet is great, a lovely explanation.
We have a place in my village known as Camp Corner, all the locals know where it is but not marked on any maps and was named apparently because ironstone miners and their families literally camped there when they first moved here for work in the 1850s 1860s
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 March 19 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Ahh Cirsteen I appear to have a connection to your Morrison's Catherine Ramsay Morrison's sister Mary married my 3xgt uncle Alexander Lowson They had 8 children before she died in 1873

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy2305, that's interesting because Catherine Ramsay Morrison's daughter, Jemima Whyte, married a William Lowson in 1879. He was the son of Peter Lowson coachman & Ann Langlands (Longlands?) Not sure if there is an obvious connection to your Lowsons, I get the impression there were quite a few Lowsons in Forfar
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.