Author Topic: Steven, Steen, Stein name confusion.  (Read 1224 times)

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Steven, Steen, Stein name confusion.
« on: Friday 01 March 19 04:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in a family who were surnamed Steven, but ended up as Stein. They were for the most part coal-miners from Lanark: Blanytre, Old Monkland, Rutherglen, Cambuslang etc.

Their name changes interest me greatly. I am totally discounting the family legend that it was all a mix-up by the Registrar. There are far too many changes for that!

The attachment has more details, but here's an example.

Adam Steven married Mary Robertson in 1813. They had three children I know of:  Adam (c. 1826 - 1882), George c. 1830 - ?, Mary 1831 - ? I am mainly focused on this second Adam's family, who is my wife's GGG-GF.

This  Adam was surnamed Steen in 1841 (census); Steven in 1846 (marriage registration), Stein in 1851 (census), Steven in 1861 census, Stein at his second marriage in 1867, Steven in 1871 and Stein in 1881. I haven't found an unequivocal birth record yet.

It almost looks as if there are several families muddled together, but there's good evidence tying all these people and name changes together. Perhaps they toyed with the idea of changing to Stein/Steen, vacillated a bit then from the late 1870's settled on Stein.

For almost every data point in the attachment I have originals from Scotland's People (exceptions are some 1881 census transcriptions from Find My Past). There are more to find, that's for sure.

Anyone else dealing with this family, or with any thoughts?  I can speculate all day, but can anyone suggest other possible avenues of enquiry?
Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Steven, Steen, Stein name confusion.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:32 GMT (UK) »
You are correct in thinking that it wasn't a mistake by the Registrars, the name seems to be a variant of Stephen and, pronounced in the lazy vernacular way of speaking in rural West of Scotland (and Ireland) it comes out as Ste##en. Are you related to the famous Jock Stein, manager of Glasgow Celtic Football Club?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 19 09:43 GMT (UK) »
 This syncopation of Steven to Stein is at least as old as the mid 16th century, as referenced by Black in his "Surnames!"  Stein's firebricks were prominent in the refractory business. Allandale etc'.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 19 10:49 GMT (UK) »
You also find Stephenson/Stevenson as Steenson or Steinson.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 March 19 20:00 GMT (UK) »
You are correct in thinking that it wasn't a mistake by the Registrars, the name seems to be a variant of Stephen and, pronounced in the lazy vernacular way of speaking in rural West of Scotland (and Ireland) it comes out as Ste##en. Are you related to the famous Jock Stein, manager of Glasgow Celtic Football Club?

No link to Jock Stein that I know of. My wife's branch of this family emigrated to NZ (Gisborne) in 1912. Maybe if some of the other lines were followed up we might find fame and glory!

There was a very considerable community of immigrants from Lanark in Gisborne from about 1900,  and there's a reference to part of Gisborne being called 'Little Blantyre' - possibly ironically.
Shepherd - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 March 19 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Royal approval for this practice, James VI when he won the lottery & flitted to London called his court favourite, George Villiers, Steenie. This was after St Stephen who was also a bit of a looker!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 March 19 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Royal approval for this practice, James VI when he won the lottery & flitted to London called his court favourite, George Villiers, Steenie. This was after St Stephen who was also a bit of a looker!  ;D

Skoosh.

Ha ha! Perhaps I won't go looking too much further in that direction.
Gordon
Shepherd - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 August 21 11:48 BST (UK) »

Skoosh.

I'm a bit late to the party but now that I've arrived I was interested to see how Stephenson; Steven; etc., came to be known as Steen/Stein, or affectionately as Steenie.   My father's brother Andrew had the middle name of Stephenson and was known as "Steenie".

Incidentally I landed on this thread when I noticed a surname I'm researching = Findlay born Morayshire in the 18th century but lived in Aberdeen in early 19th century.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke