Author Topic: William Edwards and Elizabeth Adams lived in Kent, son James b.1812  (Read 2061 times)

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Edwards and Elizabeth Adams lived in Kent, son James b.1812
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 March 19 23:16 GMT (UK) »
This is a reply to Annette who answered the query about the William Edwards born in Helmsley Yorkshire and married in Deptford Kent To Elizabeth Adams
I finally found the tree on ancestry which gives this William the clue to marrying Elizabeth Adams .
This William Edwards parents were William and Jane Edwards nee Smith.
The tree goes back a further 2 generations all in Helmsley Yorkshire.

My only way forward is to find a South Australian researcher and look forward to an Australian relative who may be a researcher
Wish me luck !!

Turramurra

HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 05:36 GMT (UK) »
There is a Will probate dated 22 March 1815 for William Edwards in the Deptford area.
I hope this makes sense to the ongoing research as many of the names mentioned are Maria, Sophia, Elizabeth, siblings of William Edwards and his wife Elizabeth.

Now given that the Christian names are reasonably common I am hoping that the Will can shed some light on the story of
... William Edwards born? and to whom?
Turramurra

HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 07:31 GMT (UK) »
When James married Sarah in 1840 it was stated his father William Edwards was dead, how do you know where William was born.    Where and when did William & Elizabeth marry

Just adding
James baptism gave fathers occupation as Taylor and abode as Church Street

Answering my own question the marriage apparently took place at St Alphege, Greenwich on 19 Apr 1795.  William was of the parish of St Paul, Deptford and Elizabeth of St Alphege.  The marriage was by licence. 

Have you located the licence, if it still exists
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 09:23 GMT (UK) »

Answering my own question the marriage apparently took place at St Alphege, Greenwich on 19 Apr 1795.  William was of the parish of St Paul, Deptford and Elizabeth of St Alphege.  The marriage was by licence. 

Have you located the licence, if it still exists

I think Deptford came under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Rochester at  that time.

I'm not sure that many of the Rochester Marriage Licences have survived.

If you're in Australia, Trove has a copy of Diocese of Rochester marriage licences 1637-1783 by Bernard Wigan on microfilm (worth knowing if you manage to get back earlier in Deptford).

PCC stand for the Prerogative Court  of Canterbury - one of the probate courts dealing with wills.

I think it's worth looking at all those EDWARDS of Deptford wills on Ancestry.  They may mention wives, children, nieces, nephews, grandchildren which together with the parish records may help you piece this family together (real detective work).
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for help..
Shadows lengthen this evening
More research on the morrow...a bright new day
It will be a delight to see the sights of London and find more clues when we come

Turramurra